Are my grains still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowow0708

Reaction score
I ordered a couple kits from NorthernBrewer around late January this year, and they arrived a couple weeks ago. I just brewed one of the kits first, which was extract, and I was wondering if my AG kit is still good. The grain's already crushed, but while they were at a relative's house, it was snowing so temperature wasn't a problem until they sent it out at around late March to early April, when it had about a month to get to where I am.

Should I brew as soon as possible or do I have some breathing room? Because I got 4 gals of mead in my secondary fermenter that's been on for a year and I'm still looking for some wine bottles for it, so I can put my extract beer into secondary. And having my primary free for my AG kit.

Again, do I have some breathing room or I have to brew it as soon as possible?

Grains keep pretty well, even crushed. Smell them. If they smell "off" your beer will suffer but I think you would be OK for another couple months.

The grains smell fine, they smell very good actually(Yum!). I'm mostly concerned about the diastatic power of the malt.
Also, as it is my first AG batch, what's a good all purpose water to grain ratio to start out with? I'm planning to do BIAB and the kit has about 10lbs of malt in it.

The grains smell fine, they smell very good actually(Yum!). I'm mostly concerned about the diastatic power of the malt.
Also, as it is my first AG batch, what's a good all purpose water to grain ratio to start out with? I'm planning to do BIAB and the kit has about 10lbs of malt in it.

Between 1.25 qt/lb and 1.5 qt/lb.....

Most stay in between at 1.33

Back