Low flocculation means

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O-Ale-Yeah

Reaction score
Does low flocculation mean that I'll have lots of yeast floating in my glass?

I recently brewed a fat tire clone, and a few of the bottles has a fair bit of sediment floating around. Those bottles tasted the best.

If you bottled without cold crashing and depending on how long the beer sat in the fermenter you could have more yeast in suspension that made the way to your bottles. If the beer is carbed, throw a few bottles in the fridge for a week or two and it should clear out fine.

Kinda...

Yeast in suspension makes beer have a cloudy appearance. During the bottling process the yeast present will consume the priming sugar, carbonate the beer, and when done, should settle on the bottom of the bottle. That takes a few weeks. Cold storage after carbonation has completed speeds up flocculation. The yeast (and any other solids) should settle as a thin cake on the bottom of the bottle.

Always store your bottles upright and handle gently to not disturb that yeast layer.

When you pour, do it slowly and carefully, without glugging so the yeast remains on the bottom and in the bottle. When you see some yeast appearing in the neck, starting to pour out, tip the bottle back quickly. You should now have a clean, clear glass of beer, without yeast rafts.

I may be missing something, but forgive me, I am literally brand new to brewing. What I am saying is, the bottles with floaties tasted the best. So, if I want a cloudy, yeasty beer, does picking a low flocculant beer do the trick?

I may be missing something, but forgive me, I am literally brand new to brewing. What I am saying is, the bottles with floaties tasted the best. So, if I want a cloudy, yeasty beer, does picking a low flocculant beer do the trick?
Perhaps you simply like the taste of yeast? Nothing wrong with that.

But not everyone appreciates it.

Low flocculating yeast will indeed give you the best experience in that regard. Don't cold crash, bottle early, before it all settles out. And invert the bottle before pouring. Swirl up the last dregs before pouring them out too. It's a meal in itself.

does picking a low flocculant beer do the trick?
Higher flocculant yeasts can be coaxed into suspension. Give the fermenter a little swirl a few hours before racking to bottling bucket, let sit for a an hour to a few hours to let the the other trub settle out again, leaving yeast in suspension. Or just drag your racking cane through the trub/yeast layer when racking. Or siphon some yeast from the top into your bottling bucket.

Yes, that's the general idea but choose a yeast with that trait.
A yeast that has a tendency to stay in suspension makes a great choice for bottle-conditioned ales, especially the German or Belgian wheat beers.

A yeast that has a tendency to stay in suspension makes a great choice for bottle-conditioned ales, especially the German or Belgian wheat beers.
Man, so happy to learn this little bit from my first brew! Thanks. :)

Excellent! My current brew is fermented with WB-06 so that luckily fits the bill. :)

Higher flocculant yeasts can be coaxed into suspension. Give the fermenter a little swirl a few hours before racking to bottling bucket, let sit for a an hour to a few hours to let the the other trub settle out again, leaving yeast in suspension. Or just drag your racking cane through the trub/yeast layer when racking. Or siphon some yeast from the top into your bottling bucket.
Great, I thought about moving the cane around, I thought giving it a swish would oxygenate but if it's safe, I'll do it. :)

Perhaps you simply like the taste of yeast? Nothing wrong with that.

But not everyone appreciates it.

Low flocculating yeast will indeed give you the best experience in that regard. Don't cold crash, bottle early, before it all settles out. And invert the bottle before pouring. Swirl up the last dregs before pouring them out too. It's a meal in itself.

Perfect thanks!

Back