Lossiemouth, Scotland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick O'Donnell

Reaction score
Evening All,

Just coming to the end of a 3 month course in Florida, and got to visit some lovely breweries and taste some lovely beers!

This has opened my palate up ever so slightly, and to force myself into trying other stuff, as i'm normally a lager drinker and starting to get really bored of it.

So, upon my return home, once i've moved house and signed my life away, i'm going to bring myself into the world of homebrew! I have been watching some videos, some people doing it themold fashioned way (which is what i will be doing to start off with), and others who have Robobrew and Kegs with pumps, the latter of which sounds like a total man thjng to do right?

So my question is, how long did you lot use ingredient kits before you started using your own grains etc, and any advice you could give a newbie will also be greatley appreciated.

And my name is Mick!

Cheers!

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from Colorado :mug:

I still use kits, but stopped using them exclusively after a dozen or so batches. Brew a ton, start small batch. You can split a kit with different yeasts, different hops, added grains. Go crazy!

Welcome to HBT!

For me, four kit batches then headfirst into all grain. A science and engineering background helped though.

The fancy stuff with pumps etc. is fun and looks nice, but isn't really needed - the finished beer tastes the same. Most brewers will tell you to focus funds and effort on fermentation control (eg. temp controlled fridge) and kegging before a fancy brew setup.

Evening All,

Just coming to the end of a 3 month course in Florida, and got to visit some lovely breweries and taste some lovely beers!

This has opened my palate up ever so slightly, and to force myself into trying other stuff, as i'm normally a lager drinker and starting to get really bored of it.

So, upon my return home, once i've moved house and signed my life away, i'm going to bring myself into the world of homebrew! I have been watching some videos, some people doing it themold fashioned way (which is what i will be doing to start off with), and others who have Robobrew and Kegs with pumps, the latter of which sounds like a total man thjng to do right?

So my question is, how long did you lot use ingredient kits before you started using your own grains etc, and any advice you could give a newbie will also be greatley appreciated.

And my name is Mick!

Cheers!
Hi Mick!

I never used a single kit. You can easily start of with a food safe bucket with a lid, a big enough pot to boil your beer (5 gallons seems to be the normal size, I got a 16 litre one, can handle this one on the hob) and a bag to mash in.

Use one base malt, one hop and make a smash and enjoy :)

Welcome to HBT Mick! Lotsa good information here and people to answer your questions. I used kits twice and made the the jump to all grain. Never looked back. All grain gives you a lot flexibility and control over your brew I think. Miraculix is right regarding getting a base malt and making a SMaSH or adding other grains and making a great beer.

Hey Mick, welcome to the group!

I brewed 4 or 5 kits, then moved into brew in a bag (BIAB). The only additional equipment is a fine-mesh bag, and a better thermometer if you don't have it already. Mashing requires better temp control than extract, and it adds about an hour to the brew day. But the ability to design your own recipes and the versatility really opens a lot of doors.

Do it and you won't look back!

Back