"Looping"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My trellis is 12.5'. My hops are about 15'. Last year I tried the trick of lowering trellis ropes and letting them grow back up the ropes. I thought it was a huge mess. I've been convinced to not cut the tips so I have these huge plants looking for some place to go. I was thinking of grabbing the tips carefully pulling them down and "loop" them back to the trellis and let them grow back up.
My question is do any of you foresee problems I'm not thinking about? It still will be a mess but Im hoping it will be less of a mess?

My 2nd year hops are doing this on their own.

Same here. Right now I have 5 Cascade bines teamed together 2' above my trellis trying to climb to the sun under their own support. Eventually they're droop down and attempt it again until they give up and throw out side arms.

Good luck, i'm sure it'll go fine.

Unless you piss them off and in which case they will just grow larger and faster.

Back