Looking to swap for Heady Topper to harvest Conan yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there's a lot of buzz going on around The Alchemist's Heady Topper, and it is definitely a great beer, however why I'm really looking for a "fresh or fresh-er" can of it is so that I can culture the Conan yeast for use in our homebrewing club so that we can have a competition in attempting an authentic clone. I actually went to college in Vermont at UVM and love to visit but haven't been able to get back up there lately due to my work schedule and was hoping someone here might be interested in a trade for a can or two.

I'm located in West Virginia and can get my hands on some pretty cool stuff from Pittsburgh and the surrounding area as well. Bridge Brew Works from Fayetteville, WV and other WV breweries if interested.

PM me if you have some to trade. Thanks! :mug:

Hi all,

I know there's a lot of buzz going on around The Alchemist's Heady Topper, and it is definitely a great beer, however why I'm really looking for a "fresh or fresh-er" can of it is so that I can culture the Conan yeast for use in our homebrewing club so that we can have a competition in attempting an authentic clone. I actually went to college in Vermont at UVM and love to visit but haven't been able to get back up there lately due to my work schedule and was hoping someone here might be interested in a trade for a can or two.

I'm located in West Virginia and can get my hands on some pretty cool stuff from Pittsburgh and the surrounding area as well. Bridge Brew Works from Fayetteville, WV and other WV breweries if interested.

Just tried to PM you, got no joy on that, though. If this doesn't work out for you, as Heady is a bit harder to get for now, you can always try what is widely accepted to be the source of the yeast, East Coast Yeast ECY29 I think it was. Their Northeast Ale yeast. The below link is for their main site, and you should be able to find it online or from your local LHBS if you are lucky
http://eastcoastyeast.com/products---brewer-s-yeast.html

Hi all,

If all else fails, I recently got a HT clone, brewed with Conan.. I did harvest that, and could probably make a family of Conan yeasticles for you..

Just tried to PM you, got no joy on that, though. If this doesn't work out for you, as Heady is a bit harder to get for now, you can always try what is widely accepted to be the source of the yeast, East Coast Yeast ECY29 I think it was. Their Northeast Ale yeast. The below link is for their main site, and you should be able to find it online or from your local LHBS if you are lucky
http://eastcoastyeast.com/products---brewer-s-yeast.html

Checked out the sites that they say retail their products and can't find any that have the yeast in stock and I don't really have a LHBS. Let me know if you find any sites that have some in stock though!

If all else fails, I recently got a HT clone, brewed with Conan.. I did harvest that, and could probably make a family of Conan yeasticles for you..

That would be great if you could, if it's a clean and well-maintained culture. We could work out some kind of arrangement. Send me a PM.

I am pretty sure I read they don't use Conan anymore because it got too mutated....

From telejunkie at the BA forums:

"So Conan yeast is a strain developed by Greg Noonan at Vermont Pub & Brewery, not the Alchemist. Before Greg passed away, he granted access to the strain to John Kimmich (Alchemist) & Shaun Hill (Hill Farmstead). In talking with them, it was my understanding neither still use that original strain from Greg. Now whether they developed their own strain from a different yeast line, or have developed Conan into a strain that they can now claim as their own house yeast was not made clear. Either way, to obtain the yeast that the Alchemist is using and everyone is talking about, you need to get a can or purchase from one of the yeast ranches that are selling that strain. As for the original Conan, it is my understanding VT Pub & Brewery is the only brewery (and maybe 7 Barrel) that is still using that strain which you would find in Wyeast &/or White Labs yeast banks.
If you're not willing to pay $10+ for a can on the black market in a swap, then Chico or Worthington's strain will get a homebrewer extremely close if solid brewing techniques are followed, trust me, I've used both multiple times. Focus on the hopping, water profile and downstream handling of the beer and you can get a beer in the ball-park of Heady.
As FatC1ty said in a BM, this beer is constantly evolving...so what maybe a good clone two years ago, may not line-up as well now...the same goes for their yeast."

Obviously all yeasts change and develop over time, but I know for a fact regardless of whether or not the strain has continued to mutate and they don't use it anymore, whatever strain they ARE using now would officially be the 'Heady Topper' yeast strain which is what we're all looking for, and from most accounts the taste of the Topper has not changed appreciably in any case. If I'm not able to obtain a sample anytime soon we'll probably all go with us-05 or 1056 and ferment as close to low 60s as possible to bring out the peachy-characteristics but I really would love to obtain a true culture.

Cans have been coming out pretty clear. Might need a couple cans for a decent step up.
Or plan for 6-8 stepups from one can.

Local nano picked up my HT clone and is brewing it to 3bbls!
I have to grow the conan culture for them though....that's ok just ferment 2 5gal batches of pale!!

I could have a couple vials in about 2 weeks if your still looking then.

Cans have been coming out pretty clear. Might need a couple cans for a decent step up.
Or plan for 6-8 stepups from one can.

Local nano picked up my HT clone and is brewing it to 3bbls!
I have to grow the conan culture for them though....that's ok just ferment 2 5gal batches of pale!!

I could have a couple vials in about 2 weeks if your still looking then.

Sounds good Johnny! Hit me up with a PM and we can make some arrangements!

That would be great if you could, if it's a clean and well-maintained culture. We could work out some kind of arrangement. Send me a PM.
dangerbrew has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

I just tried..says I cannot send you a PM!?

From telejunkie at the BA forums:

"So Conan yeast is a strain developed by Greg Noonan at Vermont Pub & Brewery, not the Alchemist. Before Greg passed away, he granted access to the strain to John Kimmich (Alchemist) & Shaun Hill (Hill Farmstead). In talking with them, it was my understanding neither still use that original strain from Greg. Now whether they developed their own strain from a different yeast line, or have developed Conan into a strain that they can now claim as their own house yeast was not made clear. Either way, to obtain the yeast that the Alchemist is using and everyone is talking about, you need to get a can or purchase from one of the yeast ranches that are selling that strain. As for the original Conan, it is my understanding VT Pub & Brewery is the only brewery (and maybe 7 Barrel) that is still using that strain which you would find in Wyeast &/or White Labs yeast banks.
If you're not willing to pay $10+ for a can on the black market in a swap, then Chico or Worthington's strain will get a homebrewer extremely close if solid brewing techniques are followed, trust me, I've used both multiple times. Focus on the hopping, water profile and downstream handling of the beer and you can get a beer in the ball-park of Heady.
As FatC1ty said in a BM, this beer is constantly evolving...so what maybe a good clone two years ago, may not line-up as well now...the same goes for their yeast."

Obviously all yeasts change and develop over time, but I know for a fact regardless of whether or not the strain has continued to mutate and they don't use it anymore, whatever strain they ARE using now would officially be the 'Heady Topper' yeast strain which is what we're all looking for, and from most accounts the taste of the Topper has not changed appreciably in any case. If I'm not able to obtain a sample anytime soon we'll probably all go with us-05 or 1056 and ferment as close to low 60s as possible to bring out the peachy-characteristics but I really would love to obtain a true culture.
I think you mean Shawn Lawson.

I think you mean Shawn Lawson.

Sean Lawson

Shaun Hill (Hill Farmstead)

And no, kimmich used to work at vermont pub and brewery and after he left he was gifted the strain when starting "the alchemist" Shaun hill got it from kimmich.

From what i know sean lawson has never used the strain without a collab between alchemist/HF/VPB

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Sean Lawson Shaun Hill (Hill Farmstead) And no, kimmich used to work at vermont pub and brewery and after he left he was gifted the strain when starting "the alchemist" Shaun hill got it from kimmich. From what i know sean lawson has never used the strain without a collab between alchemist/HF/VPB
Well excuse me, mr. Inside track. I know my brewers. Either way after a visit to the alchemist today I learned many new things. But I'm sure you know already. So I won't go on :)

I just have to say i brewed up cream of three crops, mashed high, 100% amarillo hopped and fermented with conan.

Peaches and Cream baby...great floral citrus.

Back