looking to clone allagash saison any help appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjaytuner

Reaction score
allagash saison in one of my favorite beers, anyone know of a good clone recipe of this?
thanks for any input

I'm not aware of any definitive clones out there. We could easily piece together something similar though. From their website:
We brew this amber beer with a 2-row barley blend, malted rye, oats, and dark Belgian candi sugar. Northern Brewer, Bravo, and Cascade hops deliver a citrus profile with light bitterness. By fermenting with a traditional saison yeast strain, notes of spice and tropical fruit accent the aroma. Citrus and peppery spice are balanced by a pleasant malt character. Saison is full bodied with a rustic, dry finish. Made for enjoying, no matter which type of work you’re returning from

They describe it as peppery/citrusy/tropical fruit so that makes me think they use Wyeast 3711 over the dupont strain 3724.

This is all a total guess, but its at least a step in the right direction:

5.5 gallon batch
OG/FG: 1.053/1.006
ABV: 6.2%
IBU: 25
SRM: 14.9 (due to the belgian candy, I think beersmith is overestimating the color contribution)

Grains:
4.5lbs 2-row
4.5lbs Belgian Pilsner
1lb Rye Malt
.5lb Flaked Oats
.5lb Dark Belgian Candi (this stuff: http://www.northernbrewer.com/dark-belgian-candi-sugar-1 )

I couldn't decide/tell if they were using 2-row or pilsner, so I split the difference. They use a proprietary blend, so without inside information we won't know whats in it.

Hops:
.5oz Northern brewing @ 60
.25oz Northern brewer @ 30
1oz Cascade @ 5

I removed bravo from the recipe since I think they're just using it for bittering and this isn't a very bitter beer. We get plenty of bitterness from Northern Brewer. I'm really guessing on these, but I used cascade late for that citrus/spice punch that the description mentions.

Yeast:
Wyeast 3711

As mentioned earlier, they probably use 3711, but it could easily be some other strain. I just choose between the two most common ones.

Mash:
Mash low, say 148F. Don't worry about a lack of body or a thin beer, the 3711 produces a lot of glycerol which helps with that

Water:
I'd go for moderate-high minerality. Maybe like 200 SO4 and 70 Cl

Back