Looking for Pliny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmeister13

Reaction score
I would love to try Pliny the Elder, unfortunately I live in AZ. If anyone out there can help me out, let me know what it is I can get my hands on that you maybe cannot (if there is anything) or would like to trade for.

Best advice I can give you is to make a list of the beers in your beer cave/vault/closet/etc.. Start hoarding local beers that are hard/rare finds to anyone out of your area. Living in AZ, I would hope that you would be able to track down some Pliny from Russian River in a neighboring state. I live in FL, and russian river doesn't even distribute here, and I can put my hands on a Pliny any time I want.

I've been the member of a bottle sharing group for coming on three years now, and have been promoted to "head honcho" of it when our past organizer got way too busy with her own beer venture to fool with it any more. I've tasted a lot of rare and unusual beers from all over the world and I can say that nearly 100% of the time, the hype surrounding a beer is vastly inflated. Pliny, Heady Topper, Zombie Dust.... all decent IPA's but they don't have the "Wow" factor that their hype seems to intimate.

I'd put a lagunitas sucks up against any one of them in a taste test.

Something to keep in mind if you do find someone to help you.

I got a bottle from someone here on HBT a few years ago. Nice beer. I was happy to say that I tried it, but kind of meh.

Got the chance to drink it fresh on tap at Monk's in Philly during NHC. Priceless!

Pliny, Heady Topper, Zombie Dust.... all decent IPA's but they don't have the "Wow" factor that their hype seems to intimate.

I'd put a lagunitas sucks up against any one of them in a taste test.

I've had plenty of Pliny and a lot of Sucks. They're not even close - Sucks is a great beer but Pliny is in a class by itself. Unfortunately I haven't tried Topper or Dust yet.

I got a bottle from someone here on HBT a few years ago. Nice beer. I was happy to say that I tried it, but kind of meh.

Got the chance to drink it fresh on tap at Monk's in Philly during NHC. Priceless!

If it was kind of meh then you either got an old bottle or something was wrong. I've never had a bottle but out of the tap... wow, I just want to wrap my lips around the tap and drain the keg.

I dont think you even need rare beer for pliny. Most guys with pliny are just happy to get something they cant get. Pliny just trades $4$ with everything else.

Op, its about $6 a bottle. Dont trade much more in value than that.

LovesIPA said:
If it was kind of meh then you either got an old bottle or something was wrong. I've never had a bottle but out of the tap... wow, I just want to wrap my lips around the tap and drain the keg.

My experience with Pliny has been variable with the bottled version - I've had great bottles from shops here in Sacramento, and poor ones from the brewery. In fact, I've never had a good bottle from the brewery. However, the draft beer is stunning every single time.

I'm too new to good beer to offer an explanation, but every time someone says their experience with Pliny was "meh", or that it is overrated, I'm betting it was from a bottle. Trade for a growler and you'll be singing a different tune!

After a bit of looking it seems that Cali doesn't get Bells or Odell (which happens to be my favorite IPA right now). If anyone is interested let me know.

Pliny=Good
Heady/Zombie = Better

Don't get ridiculously high expectations, or you will be disappointed in any beer...

I have two week old 08/16/13 Pliny if you really want to try it. I would be interested in some two heart if you can get it.

I have two week old 08/16/13 Pliny if you really want to try it. I would be interested in some two heart if you can get it.

If that doesnt work out our homebrew shop usually has it in all thw time and the pub downstairs gets in the younger on draft from time to time.

If that doesnt work out our homebrew shop usually has it in all thw time and the pub downstairs gets in the younger on draft from time to time.

That trade is going down, shipping out either tomorrow or Tuesday. I would, however, be interested in the younger. Just not sure what I could send you in return. There is a brewery here called Dragoon that has some good stuff, but I'm not sure it would be on the same level as younger.

I went to Russian River on Saturday. I bought six bottles of Pliny (the max) and a bottle of sour. (MINE!)

SWMBO and I shared a bottle last night and I have to say I know what people mean and they think the bottle is just "meh." I kinda felt the same way. Out of the keg it's a different beer. I don't know whether it's their product, their bottling equipment, or the beer but it just doesn't seem to take well to being placed into brown bottles.

Nevertheless, I have 5 bottles left - two are almost certainly spoken for - and three more for trade. Would REALLY like to try some heady topper. *wink*

Well, I have to call Shenanigans on this (the Younger part). Pliny the Younger is only released 1 time a year, with kegs going to select watering holes. It IS possible that they have had it in the past, but to have it from time to time thats not really possible at all. And when a place gets a keg, its a madhouse. It usually kicks within an hour. Its only around for 2 weeks in February, starting the first Friday.

The problem with Pliny, is that it is a great beer, but I don't know how/why it keeps getting "Best Beer in America". I am a big hophead and live about 1.5 hours from the brewery. I agree that it is better from tap, but the bottles are still a great sample of it. The stores around here sell out of the bottles within 1-2 hours. People wait for them to open the boxes and its a free for all. Its crazy. All for a great IPA, but its nothing that is levels above other local options.

As for the OP, I can get it if you need it or want more. I can also get their sours/ barrel aged beers pretty easily. If you still want a trade, then I would be willing.

As for the OP, I can get it if you need it or want more. I can also get their sours/ barrel aged beers pretty easily. If you still want a trade, then I would be willing.

I'll keep it in mind for the future, but can't swing it right now. Thanks man.

Does "time to time" mean year to year? Sorry bud but that isn't the younger unless it is in Feb and they one of the few to snag a keg.

That trade is going down, shipping out either tomorrow or Tuesday. I would, however, be interested in the younger. Just not sure what I could send you in return. There is a brewery here called Dragoon that has some good stuff, but I'm not sure it would be on the same level as younger.

Just a tip, most beers arent traded on a quality to quality value system. Its usually $4$, or just whatever the guy wants for the beer that you are willing to give.

Some guys with a rarer beer are perfectly fine with a bunch of beer they just dont have access to.

TheMan said:
Just a tip, most beers arent traded on a quality to quality value system. Its usually $4$, or just whatever the guy wants for the beer that you are willing to give.

Some guys with a rarer beer are perfectly fine with a bunch of beer they just dont have access to.

Thanks for the heads up. Kind of what this trade winded up being. A couple of Pliny for an assorted 6er of some good stuff he can't get.

Latest posts

Back