Looking for help with a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romex2121

Reaction score
Some of you who live in N.M. my have heard of a craft beer being sold around the state called Marble Double White (Ale) ive recently tried it and would love to try and make it .. Its a wheat beer and when its ice cold its delicious and crisp ( i think)....
On the can it list the general ingredients being used -
kettle hops = Crystal ,
yeast = Belgian Ale ,
Malts = 2-row , Flaked oats , unmalted wheat.
Other = orange peel , coriander , grains of paridise.
ABV = 7.0
IBU = 8
Ive contacted the brewery but im sure thier gonna just laugh at my request so if i cant get from the source ill try the next best place ,, you guys ,,
Being new at home brewing im not sure how to go about putting this beer together for a AG 2.5 ta 5 gal. Batch , id really like your help in putting this together , id prefer to try 2.5 gal. First ( just incase ) untill its dialed in .....

Certainly not a laughable request. Some breweries share; some don't.
Personally, I think if asked respectfully and with admiration for their brew, most realize a home brewer is no threat to their sales.

Certainly not a laughable request. Some breweries share; some don't.
Personally, I think if asked respectfully and with admiration for their brew, most realize a home brewer is no threat to their sales.
thats exactly what i did , ;)

Sweet, strong witbier, so you're looking at grist below for 7%ABV; SG - 1.072 FG - 1.019

This is more or less a specialty Belgian that would need some extra mash time and could turn out a bit more alcoholic than planned. At this SG you'd need a vigorous starter and a blow off - guaranteed blow off for this strain. Add spices after boil.
Something like this might be a pain in the @$$ to drain/lauter properly, so it might be better to do a BIAB no sparge.

(Basic grist)
2.5gal batch, 3gal boil. Use soft water, half tsp CaCl and half to quarter tsp gypsum to your mash; 1.75qt H2O/lb grain. TotalH20 = 13-14qt estimated.
4lb. pale US 2-row
2lb. red/white wheat malt
1lb. flaked wheat, unmalted
4 oz flaked oats
4 oz German acidulated (sauer malz)
WLP400/Wyeast 3944
.5oz Crystal added to boil for about 20-30 minutes 4.3AAU

Last edited:
The 7.0 % ABV is ok most of the time but there are times being a little lower wouldnt hurt my feelings much :confused:

The 7.0 % ABV is ok most of the time but there are times being a little lower wouldnt hurt my feelings much :confused:

Well, if that's the case and you don't want that extra ABV simply reduce the grain by one pound of 2 row.
That will drop your ABV by roughly 1% and still keep the mash ratio of grains in the ballpark, or you can do this while adding an extra half gallon of water to dilute the wort, getting you down to 5% session range. If you reduce grain and dilute the beer will be much closer to a normal witbier but you'll need to adjust the hops to 1 oz to keep a 20 minute boil in the original calculation.
I calculated the efficiency at about 65% using Brewers Friend.

Last edited:
Lefou , thank you for the help on this , how do you feel about rice hulls to help with Lauter ? BIAB is certainly an option ...

Back