Long distance corney transport

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themover

Reaction score
So question: I have movers taking my stuff 1200+ miles, about a week of travel. I have two corneys with finished beer in them. One is almost done and I'll empty in time. The other is 99% full.

I hear transport trucks get very hot. If I let the beer come to room temp and purge to keep the pressure low, I should hopefully be ok right? I'd hate to have to throw a party and to finish a whole batch.

Anyone have insight or previous experience? Of note, yes I now moving companies don't want to transport liquor and high pressure potentially explosive cargo. I did speak with them about the keg and they were fine with it if I purged to keep pressure low.

Thanks in advance!

Release pressure while still cold. Let come to room temps, while keep venting over a couple days. You can hear how much pressure is left. When it sounds like around 8-10 psi is left (at room temps), it should be enough to keep the lid sealed, while preventing overpressure during the hot trip.

fwiw, a standard corny keg style manual PRV is rated to blow off at 100psi, while a keg of beer carbed to say 2.5 volumes won't even hit 50 psi at 100°F...

Cheers!

Back