Yeast starter holding time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FMFDoc

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm brewing an extract porter with specialty grains. The last kit I brewed (a java stout) had great taste but a very thin body. So, I figured I'd add some maltodextrin to the porter. Anyway, to make a long story short, I ordered the maltodextrin (as well as some whirl floc) from Midwest and it's taking much longer than normal for them to send it. I've already started my yeast starter, and I actually did the second step today. I have just enough (I hope) DME to do a 3rd step, but then there will still be a few days before I can start the boil (maybe four or five). Should I try to find some DME somewhere and do a fourth step (I live out in BFE and the closest brew shop is about an 1 1/2 hour away)? Or should I just cold crash it until I'm ready to brew?

Oh, the target OG is 1.067 (but mine are usually higher due a lesser volume).

Just cold crash and keep it in the fridge until ready to pitch... Decant the spent wort after your yeast flocs out. Maybe top with some distilled water while you wait.

Thanks! I live in a really hot area, so I was worried about yeast viability (the pack was HOT when I received it), which is why I did the starter in this case. Now that they're all happy I don't want to screw it up "at the last moment" so to speak.

Back