First time root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I'm considering adding a soda tap to my keg system.

I don't think I have a desire to get as technical formulating recipes as I do with my beer recipes. I just think it would be cool to have as alternative. What do I new to consider with this project? Also has anyone tried the kits from Austin home brew are they good?

I'm considering adding a soda tap to my keg system.

I don't think I have a desire to get as technical formulating recipes as I do with my beer recipes. I just think it would be cool to have as alternative. What do I new to consider with this project? Also has anyone tried the kits from Austin home brew are they good?

I used to do root beer when my son lived at home. While even the McKormick bottle (from the grocery store) is really good just by following the directions on the back, we found that he especially loved the Sprecher syrup sold by Northern Brewer.

If that's not available, the grocery store Mckormicks is actually better then the "gnome" or the other one in the brown and white box (forget the name- Rainbows? something like that).

Just remember to have all new line, as root beer never goes away, and since soda is best at about 30 psi, you need a secondary regulator and LOTS of line for it. 25 feet of 3/16" is not too little, and I'd consider it minimal. Soda is much higher carbed than beer.

Back