Lobster Roll Beer Pairing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacandagabrewing

Reaction score
Happy Sunday all! So my mom's birthday is mid-late august and her favorite food is lobster rolls so I was gonna make that for her (probably nice to do at least one nice thing per year). I wanted to check with you guys to see what I can brew up to go with it. I was thinking some sort of Lemon Shandy or some sort of pale lager? Any help is always very much appreciated!!

Since lobster is a distinct yet subtle almost nutty flavor, I would tend to pair it with something that is lighter and less hoppy.

If this was a wine pairing, I'd select a Pinot Gris, so my beer thoughts would line up in a similar fashion such as: A light Kolsch beer, Belgium White Ale or possibly a Cream of 3 Crops Cream Ale.

I mention ales since you are not in a position to do much with a lager* with 4 weeks to go (or there about). With one of these choices you'll have time to let it mellow if you move forward pretty soon.

If not, pick her up a bottle of brut champagne and make it a special event!

*Some folks do a fast lager, and while I have tried them, I don't consider them my best beers. I always give lagers a couple of months to ripen or lager properly.

Last edited:
I agree, something lighter that doesn't compete with the lobster. Centennial Blonde Ale is a beer we like around this house when we just want something light, but still with good flavor.

And I agree with the champagne! A nice Gloria Ferrer blanc de blanc sparkling wine from Sonoma would be good and not expensive either.

I keep NBs Petite Saison on hand for pairing with meals on the lighter side. Low ABV, a little spice, and a lot of bubbles when well carbonated.

resized461.jpg

And I agree with the champagne! A nice Gloria Ferrer blanc de blanc sparkling wine from Sonoma would be good and not expensive either.

Thanks for the champagne tip.....I'll put this one on my list to try!

You're welcome. I like that winery, their sparkling wines are always good and run from about $12 up. Sometimes Costco has it for the lower price points. Varies which one they have.

Are you on the west coast? I'm in SC, and while I shop regularly at Costco, their inventory is somewhat influenced by geographic location.

This won't help you for this year, but I recommend a high gravity braggot. A pale-ale-type base, with 4 pounds of orange blossom honey per 5 gallons.

Are you on the west coast? I'm in SC, and while I shop regularly at Costco, their inventory is somewhat influenced by geographic location.

I was, but we moved last year. Yeah, you might have a problem finding it in SC although I believe you can order it directly from the winery, or perhaps a local liquor or wine store might have it or get it for you!

I like the champagne idea, but not sure that brut is the right kind. What about "extra dry"? (has just a tiny bit of sweetness left)
Some nice dry fizzy apple cider would be good, but that takes 2 or 3 months. I just fermented a gallon of cider using Voss Kveik yeast and it's ready to bottle after only 2 weeks, but I don't know yet if it's any good.

Back