Comments on equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matbase

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for comments on my equipment I intend to use for all grain brewing for batches of 1 gallon
- Mash tun lets out 8 litres with 1/2 litre left behind due to height of the tap
- 7 litre boil pot
- 1 gallon glass demijohn/carboy fermenter
- 1 gallon glass demijohn with screw top for aging/carbonation (will prob buy more of these)

Wanting to brew stouts and porters at least for the winter (southern hemi)

Your comments are appreciated
Cheers
Matt

Brewing equipment.jpg

You may want to add a bigger fermenter because beer makes a krausen that will overflow your one gallon container. I'd suggest perhaps a 3 gallon food grade bucket with a lid that you can drill for an airlock to fit into. You can leave your beer in that bucket until it is ready to bottle if you want.

Measure and fill fermenters and mark gallon mark with a grease pencil to determine head room. You'll probably have a couple inches and then the neck. You'll probably want to use a blow-off tube on a regular basis. But I don't think you want/need a bigger fermenter.

Matbase, what did you use for the screen in your mash tun? I have that same cooler and I want to do small experiment batches.

I used braided stainless steel hose with the rubber hose removed, clamped the braided hose back onto the original fitting and bunged the end

Back