Thin film of scum covering my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woozy

Reaction score
Opened my fermenter to put back a sample reading and found what looked like a thin film of mold covering the surface of my beer. Here's a photo:

3562_520830994643237_2124618737_n.jpg

It's actually hard to tell what's going on in the photo so: I had poured back the sample and it broke the surface of the scum which as solid and cause the beer underneath to shift. The displacement caused bubbles but the bubble were caught under the layer of scum like bubbles in celephane. The big blobs are air bubbles caught under scum. The long white lines is the layer of scum folding in a crease upon itself (the wake of the air bubbles caused the fine film to crease on itself).

So... what's this scum?

Not gonna lie, that doesn't look good. Someone with more experience might be able to tell you more, but it looks infected

Should mention that the color is hard to tell from the image. Grey and chalky looking. looks and smells like bread mold.

The spotchy bubbles are half-sheres very rounded. Tastes ... probably fine.

942974_520848421308161_913658958_n.jpg

It's been in the fermenter 13 days. Gravity's higher than I expected (1.014 from o.g 1.044)

You sir from that last pic have an infection. Check up on sours and make this a sour batch.

Should also stop putting your sample back in the fermenter...its just...increasing the chance...of........infection

Well, this was the first sample so that couldn't have caused it. I sanitize everything with the sample.

I can't get good readings with my hydrometer tube so I have to balance risk of infection vs. wasting 1/2 a bottle of beer. Risk of infection has always won out so far.

Well, this was the first sample so that couldn't have caused it. I sanitize everything with the sample.

I can't get good readings with my hydrometer tube so I have to balance risk of infection vs. wasting 1/2 a bottle of beer. Risk of infection has always won out so far.

I would never risk infection to pour a sample back, I never waste it either....drink it up! It'll let you know the flavor at that point in the process!:cross:

^ This! Putting it back is just too much of a risk. Remember, sanitizing isn't sterilizing and there is always a risk of picking up some trace bugs.

That is a very classic looking infection, but not necessarily a bad one. Might turn out to be an awesome sour, but it will take some time and I would probably keep all off the tubing, racking canes, and other plastic bits from this batch as dedicated sour equipment. Sours are awesome, and if you don't have a taste for them yet this may be your chance to get into them!

Yup definitely infected. Go get yourself a Jolly Pumpkin beer (or beer with other live wild dregs), save and pitch the dregs into your carboy. You just started your first sour. Sad thing is you have to wait 12-18 months.

What was this brew to begin with? Hopefully not overly hoppy, as that can limit the bugs potential.

Tasting samples increases your knowledge of how your beer is coming along. Your going to gain virtually no experience and a less of a honed palate if you put samples back. Just drink it, its like 70ml. Less than a mouthful.

I would ditch it. It's infected. Sounds like you have got a wild yeast strain. Make sure that all your plastics are scar free. The wild yeast hides in there. I never open my fermenter until its done. Wild yeast can cause "gusher" effects as well once it's bottled.

Tasting samples increases your knowledge of how your beer is coming along. Your going to gain virtually no experience and a less of a honed palate if you put samples back. Just drink it, its like 70ml. Less than a mouthful.

Uh, no... It's 6 oz. 1/2 a bottle of a beer. I always drink a little. A shot glass full. But no need to drink 1/2 a bottles worth.

I don't bother checking my gravity until bottling day, which is now 3 weeks for lesser beers, and 4 weeks for the majority of them. They ought to be done by then...

Though maybe not a good practice I drop my sanitized (several minutes in Star San) hydrometer into the fermentor.

I don't bother checking my gravity until bottling day, which is now 3 weeks for lesser beers, and 4 weeks for the majority of them. They ought to be done by then...

Though maybe not a good practice I drop my sanitized (several minutes in Star San) hydrometer into the fermentor.

This is bottling day. That's why I was taking a sample. The first and so far only sample.

Back