So I have American 2-row, flaked oats, glacier / chinook hops (1 oz. each). What can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikyn

Reaction score
Fairly new to all grain and recipe formulation for it. I have these left over from my all grain inauguration day. Right now I have to ferment at about 75 degrees due to lack of fermenation chamber.

I'd be willing to order some hops or yeast.

Yeasts I have:

* French Saison 3711

* US-04

* Nottingham

* WLP400

Brew a saison for sure at that fermenting temp it would be great! I used 2-row, Flaked oats, wheat, and Vienna in my last few saisons and they have all turned out great. If you have to ferment at 75 that is perfect for 3711 yeast. I would use what you have and do something like this:

5 Gallon batch

10 lbs 2-row
1 lb flaked oats
1 oz chinook hops @ 60mins
.5 oz glacier @ 10mins
.5 oz glacier @ 5 mins

I would mash around 150

If you'd like to dry it out a bit you could add 1 lb of sugar either in the last few mins of the boil or after the first few days in the primary.

Let me know when your done and I'll send you a few of my saisons to try out and you can send me a few of yours :D

Whatever you decide to do good luck ! :mug:

Brew a saison for sure at that fermenting temp it would be great! I used 2-row, Flaked oats, wheat, and Vienna in my last few saisons and they have all turned out great. If you have to ferment at 75 that is perfect for 3711 yeast. I would use what you have and do something like this:

5 Gallon batch

10 lbs 2-row
1 lb flaked oats
1 oz chinook hops @ 60mins
.5 oz glacier @ 10mins
.5 oz glacier @ 5 mins

I would mash around 150

If you'd like to dry it out a bit you could add 1 lb of sugar either in the last few mins of the boil or after the first few days in the primary.

Let me know when your done and I'll send you a few of my saisons to try out and you can send me a few of yours :D

Whatever you decide to do good luck ! :mug:

That doesn't appear to be anything like a saison.. that would be MUCH too bitter for a Saison with that hop schedule. You could try dropping the hops way back and late, and shoot for 20-30 IBU's.

The recipe doesn't sound bad, and I'd suggest using the 3711 if you can't control temp. It's the only one of the bunch that will hold up to the heat.

That said, you can do something sort of a Belgian ish Farmhouse IPA. I just brewed one, and used 2 row and Pilsner in the base, some Golden naked oats, a pound or two of wheat, and some carafoam to add some body back.

I'd advise to mash like 150 or so, depending how big you want to take the beer. I wouldn't add sugar, as it'll dry out just fine with the 3711. I got my IPA to go from 1.065 to 1.006, and mashed at 151 or so, maybe even 152. Can't remember.

I hopped it heavy, like 70-80 IBU's, and did a bunch late. Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic.

Whatever you have, I'd keep it simple though.

3711 however, I think is something you should use if you can't control the temp. 75 is way too high for all of them but that one you have on hand. You can use it and make a traditional saison, or if you like pales and ipa, do a hop schedule you like with hops you like and use the grains you have, and toss in the french saison yeast and call it done.

Mine turned out fantastic, for what it's worth.

Back