Screwed up I think :-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks_r_us

Reaction score
Well I think my fermentation is over. I went from 1.066 to 1.030. With some re-hydrated Fermentis Safale US05 yeast. I mashed on the Hot side 156f with a 170f mash out.
Fermentation was quite violent strong for the first 3 days. Then is stop completely, at least the air lock activity did. After 2 days, I gave the wort a gentle swirl by gently moving the bucket. Fermentation was back rolling 6 hours later but slow. Been bubbling every 5 -10 min since. I checked again the Gravity Still 1.030 no change.

I am pretty sure I screwed up with my mash it was probably in the 158f range for the first 30 min. I need a better thermometer. Those cheap Ebay $10 digital thermometer are not accurate.

Fermentation temperature are on the low side 60-62. Do you think I should try raising hit to 68-70 ?

The beer as 10 days now.

Do you think it could drop another 10 point in the next 15 days ?

Is there a way add more fermentable sugar at this stage ? or I should just live with the ~4.5 ABv and put this in the experimentation section :cross:

I really wanted this to be +6% Abv

If you're using a refractometer for gravity checking then you might be not correcting for the presence of alcohol. Is this a possibility?

A 158 mash of grains on a 1.066 beer should not leave you at 1.03x, maybe in the low to mid teens but not 30s. 156 should ensure low teens (max).

US05 should be able to handle those temps.

I do think you should bump up your temperature a little. 68-70 would be perfect.

That said, can you give us your recipe? Even with a mash of 158, you should be able to get your FG well below 1.030.

First thing to try is bringing the temperature up to 68F and let it sit for at least 4 days. The hydro test it. You can add boiled DME, but I don't think that will really help you. You can always try pitching a yeast that can deal with the high alcohol content. If you did mash at 158F then you probably didn't get as much fermentable sugars as you needed and may just have a easy drinking 4.5% brew.

Mouse

I am using a refractometer and it is properly calibrated with distil water . I thought it was as simple as adding a drop reading the scale at proper temp. I do I figure out the actual gravity ? I don't have a hydrometer. I thought the Refractometer was just easy and more accurate

Noob Brewer, Still learning more than what my brain can handle

I am using a refractometer and it is properly calibrated with distil water . I thought it was as simple as adding a drop reading the scale at proper temp. I do I figure out the actual gravity ? I don't have a hydrometer. I thought the Refractometer was just easy and more accurate

Noob Brewer, Still learning more than what my brain can handle

Run and check with a hydrometer anyway. Even with "conversion" software, refractometer readings of FG have never once (in 150 tries) for me been accurate!

Yooper you break my yeast bubbles ... boooooooooooooo

I guess I am gonna have to buy another one, broke the last one and thought the refractometer was a way better tool. So I bought a refractometer instead of another Hydro

Btw this is your Dead guy clone we are talking about ;-)

Do they make mini Hydrometer ? I don't like taking a pint out each time I check the gravity... Im a drama Queen I know, wife tells me all time

Run and check with a hydrometer anyway. Even with "conversion" software, refractometer readings of FG have never once (in 150 tries) for me been accurate!

My refractometer readings using calibration software have been accurate since I've started taking readings (didn't take readings for years before that). The corrected FG values have been no more or less accurate than trying to read the top/bottom of the meniscus of my two hydrometers. I find that at most there is a two point difference, but more typically just one point. One point difference, assuming my eye is reading the hydro correctly at that moment, is "accurate" for my purposes as a home brewer. Additionally, refractometers ARE a great way to determine if your FG is stable because the correction for alcohol is unnecessary. Of course, everyone's mileage varies and it's up to the brewer to decide what works for them.

They do make a FG hydrometer that has a reduced gravity scale (something like 0.990 to 1.020) which makes reading the gravity much easier (so I understand). I assume it still requires a 3-8 ounce sample depending on the tube you're using.

A good website for refractometer correction values is Sean Terrill's calculator:
http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

I will typically use both Sean Terrills and Beersmiths, and average the two. Good enough for me.

Do they make mini Hydrometer ? I don't like taking a pint out each time I check the gravity... Im a drama Queen I know, wife tells me all time

The tube your hydrometer came in holds a sufficient amount of beer to check the gravity. You shouldn't need to pull out an entire pint.

The tube your hydrometer came in holds a sufficient amount of beer to check the gravity. You shouldn't need to pull out an entire pint.

^^^^^ believe it...... besides you should only be checking 2-3 times total not like most that post on here where some are checking every week.... check at 3 weeks then again at 4 if same bottle....golden!!!

I fanally bought a Hydro. OG was 1.012
Sample tasted so great that I wanted to keg the beer right away. I had to calm myself down to wait for my 3 weeks. I will keg this week end.
If I use the Calculator on beersmith I get a AVB of 6.6% if my memory is right. Everything seems Good
Thanks for all the replies guys, I learned a lot.

I fanally bought a Hydro. OG was 1.012
Sample tasted so great that I wanted to keg the beer right away. I had to calm myself down to wait for my 3 weeks. I will keg this week end.
If I use the Calculator on beersmith I get a AVB of 6.6% if my memory is right. Everything seems Good
Thanks for all the replies guys, I learned a lot.

My math must be off from BeerSmith.

OG 1.066
FG 1.012
ABV 7%

(OG-FG)*131=ABV

Back