To Cover or not to Cover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanson16

Reaction score
Is it better to boil uncovered or with lid slightly open or completely off? Or does it really matter??

Lid off. Always.

You want volatiles, called SMMs (the precursors to DMS) to boil off. If you have a lid on, they will congregate in the condensate and drip back into the pot causing a cooked vegetable flavor in the finished beer.

Ok. Thanks. I have always boiled with the pot partially covered but I am now in the pursuit of better beer. I thought I read somewhere it is better to boil lid off. Thanks again!

*should* you boil with lid off? Yeah. That being said I recently brewed a hefe and boiled the whole 60 min covered (brewing and drinking can have side effects after all). It came out great without any off flavors but who knows, maybe I just got lucky. :ban:

*should* you boil with lid off? Yeah. That being said I recently brewed a hefe and boiled the whole 60 min covered (brewing and drinking can have side effects after all). It came out great without any off flavors but who knows, maybe I just got lucky. :ban:

Try that again with Pilsner malt and see if you get the same results. :D

You can leave the lid on to speed up reaching a boil, but once it gets there, lid off.

edit to say:
I have to watch very carefully. If the lid is still on when it starts to boil there will be a big mess to clean up!

Well crap, I've been boiling with the lid partially on for a good dozen batches since I bought my electric induction plate and didn't think nothing of it. I have never had any vegetable or off flavors in any of my beers and I can't get a good rolling boil without the lid.

Now I'm a little worried and I suppose my beer will taste like rotten cabbage since this thread will be in the back of my mind. Lol

If you're using extract, I believe DMS is much less of a concern. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Well crap, I've been boiling with the lid partially on for a good dozen batches since I bought my electric induction plate and didn't think nothing of it.
I also induction boil, but insulating the pot made a huge difference. Have you tried that?

edit to add:
Induction is great because there no additional heat outside the pot to hurt the insulation. Anything that will handle 212 degrees will work fine.

AnOldUR said:
I also induction boil, but insulating the pot made a huge difference. Have you tried that?

edit to add:
Induction is great because there no additional heat outside the pot to hurt the insulation. Anything that will handle 212 degrees will work fine.

No I haven't tried insulating but I guess I will now. Maybe some of that aluminum faced bubble wrap?

Try that again with Pilsner malt and see if you get the same results. :D

Haha I was actually thinking 'I'm sure the fact that it was a hefe isn't hurting anything' right after I posted.

But +1 to heating water covered or even slightly covering boil if your heat source isn't strong enough to get a good boil otherwise (Have to do this sometimes with full boils on my electric stove).

...or I could just get a burner but whatever

Back