reliability: refrigerator vs. temp-controlled freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatgerm

Reaction score
The compressor on our fridge just went out and we're looking to buy a new one (sticker shock :eek: ).

This led me to wonder if it would be more reliable to buy an upright freezer and put a Johnson temp controller on it vs. a standard refrigerator.

Does using an external controller like that extend or shorten the life of a compressor?

I can't see how it would shorten the life. A chest freezer would be more efficient because it's got more insulation and the chest design helps keep the cold air from spilling out when you need to get into it.

This gets asked from time to time... Most recently i saw a thread that had some input from a guy who works on fridges/freezers. With regards to the freezer he said that since its only gonna be on from time to time, its not really gonna have to work at full capacity alot since ur rarely gonna have it being used to get the temp to freezing, and therefore won't hurt it.

I've got 2 15 cu. ft. chest freezers used with regulators- my ferm chamber is nearly 20 years old and still works great, the keezer is brand new and purrs like a kitten.

If you have the settings on your temp controller set improperly (i.e. temp difference threshold, compressor wait time) and it's kicking the compressor off and on constantly, I could see that shortning the life of the compressor.

Latest posts

Back