Golden Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tflew

Reaction score
I had a pint of noble ale works naughty sauce which was a golden milk stout served on nitro. Has anyone had this or know what would go into cloning a beer like this?

image.jpg

I don't want to make this a style semantics arguement, but there's no such thing as a golden stout. I would expect this to be very much a specialty beer with mismatched style components.

Looks like something like a light amber base (two-row and crystal 60) with coffee/espresso and chocolate, then finished with lactose. Maybe some carapils for head retention. I think they call it a stout because of the way the head looks off the nitro, but it doesn't seem to have any of the actual characteristics of a stout at all. Just seems like a marketing decision to sell more units off nitro. Who's going to buy a Milk Chocolate Coffee Amber off nitro, right?

You'd have to figure out of the ratios. I can't find anyone who has attempted a clone yet.

You might want to call the brewery and ask. Most breweries will at least give you the actual ingredients to get you started, some will even give you the actual recipe.

I'd be interested to know what you come up with about this. It may be a marketing gimmick, but it's a damn tasty beer.

Noble Works is a very well known brewery from the Anaheim area. I am a big fan of their brews. The Big Whig IPA is always a solid choice.

I am interested in trying this Milk Stout. What locations is it served in the SoCal area? Is it a seasonal beer?

This is currently my favorite beer! Creamy and slightly sweet, malty, and a a great coffee flavor... I love coffee as well as beer and this beer hits it perfectly! I've only ever had it on nitro which gives it a luscious thick rich head like a latte.

Was just there yesterday... sadly no Naughty sauce. Thought last time I was there, a few weeks earlier, they had naughty sauce and a dark naughty sauce. They tasted very similar though. I couldn't quite get the roasted flavors from the darker malts they used. They don't brew it all the time, just occasionally. I've only ever had it on nitro. I'm about to brew a batch of beer and sorta shooting toward making something like the naughty sauce, but that's being hopeful.

Anyway, if you get a chance, definitely drink a few pints.

Actually, Blonde Stouts are very much a style of beer, even though in all technicality a "Golden Stout" doesn't really exist.

Blonde Stout... Black IPA... The brewing world is going crazy I tell you!

I've not heard of a Blonde Stout in ever... but I imagine that if it has any coffee flavor, it would be derived from coffee extract, since there isn't a hint of roasted grain or actual coffee coloring from the looks of that picture. Above that, I would think that they would add lactose to get the sweetness of a cream/milk stout.

I tried this beer last night at the release and it was great got to meet the brewer and he said stay away from anything roasted and the coffee is added late.

I don't want to make this a style semantics arguement, but there's no such thing as a golden stout. I would expect this to be very much a specialty beer with mismatched style components.

Looks like something like a light amber base (two-row and crystal 60) with coffee/espresso and chocolate, then finished with lactose. Maybe some carapils for head retention. I think they call it a stout because of the way the head looks off the nitro, but it doesn't seem to have any of the actual characteristics of a stout at all. Just seems like a marketing decision to sell more units off nitro. Who's going to buy a Milk Chocolate Coffee Amber off nitro, right?

You'd have to figure out of the ratios. I can't find anyone who has attempted a clone yet.

You might want to call the brewery and ask. Most breweries will at least give you the actual ingredients to get you started, some will even give you the actual recipe.

It seems to be a growing trend, much like the Black IPA. I'm seeing a few Pale/Blond(e)/Golden Stouts pop up here and there. From what I can tell, they skip the darker roasted malts, and add a small amount of brewed coffee or whole beans to keep the lighter color, while giving the impression of a stout. Not sure if there is a BJCP category yet, but styles are always evolving, and new ones pop up all the time.

dang, going to have to get myself a growler tomorrow

EDIT: Of something in general, I don't think they do nitro in growlers??

Naughty Sauce and one of its offshoots Cinnamon Roast Crunch are amazing! I know they use Portola Coffee. I live in Huntington Beach and have had this a few times recently at the brewery. It is so good. I also want to make a clone if anyone does come up with a recipe! FYI they don't do this in growlers

Get a growler, get two!

And they actually make the Naughty Sauce in a dark version at the brewery sometimes. Last time I went there I had both the golden and the dark versions. I'm thinking the dark had pretty much the exact same recipe, maybe with some added darker malts. They tasted pretty much the same, not a major difference. Yummy.

I attempted a clone of Naughty Sauce a while back and from what I remember, it seemed like it came close, but definitely not cloned. The chocolate flavor on mine was a bit too prominent in the first bottles I cracked, but it mellowed with time and the coffee flavor came through a bit more.
Here's the recipe
70% efficiency, 5.5 gallon batch, 60min boil
10lb American 2 Row
1lb American Crystal 15
.25lb Carapils
.25lb Flaked Oats
.5lb Lactose (added with 10min left in boil)

20g Magnum (15% AA) 60min - 39IBU

Dry Hop with 4oz Cacao Nibs and 6oz Coarsely Ground Coffee

OG 1.057
FG 1.016

Yeast WLP001

Really cool I will have to give this a shot. Would you lower the Cacao Nibs a bit or were you happy with the result even if you had to wait a while for it to mellow out?

Really cool I will have to give this a shot. Would you lower the Cacao Nibs a bit or were you happy with the result even if you had to wait a while for it to mellow out?
If I were to brew it again I'd probably lower it to 2-2.5oz. You can always add more if the taste isn't where you want it since they're just used as a dry hop.

Reviving from the dead! :)

What color did this recipe turn out? What coffee did you use - do they make a lighter colored bean?

Anyone else try/modify this recipe?

:mug:

Reviving from the dead! :)

What color did this recipe turn out? What coffee did you use - do they make a lighter colored bean?

Anyone else try/modify this recipe?

:mug:
The color was probably around a 10-11 on the SRM scale. "Dry Hopping" the coffee doesn't contribute a ton of color. Also, from my own experience, whenever you "dry hop" with coffee (especially lighter roasts), the beer can develop a green pepper taste in a short period of time (~1.5-2.5 months is what I've typically found), so I wouldn't plan on sitting on this beer for very long. The green pepper flavor/aroma comes from some compound found within coffee, and if I remember correctly I believe the compound is found in higher levels in lighter roasts of coffee.

dang, going to have to get myself a growler tomorrow

EDIT: Of something in general, I don't think they do nitro in growlers??

it goes very flat quickly... I have a nitro tap at home and I have learned this the hard way with a lot of very flat beer if not consumed within the first few hours.

Also, I emailed the brewery about Naughty Sauce, here is what the brewer responded with:

"Good morning! For Naughty Sauce, no the coffee beans are not golden in color. If you use 2-4oz of fresh roasted ground coffee per 5 gallons, after fermentation, you'll get some deliciousness without a huge color pickup. You'll want to make the beer as light as possible because there is a little bit of a color pick up. For recipe tips, keep the IBU's in the 20's, add a bit of honey malt for flavor, use lots of oats and lactose to fill out the body. Our starting gravity is in the 1.050's. Good luck! "

I wrote a recipe for something similar over a year ago and we're finally going to take a shot at it on Saturday. I notice above it says to use "fresh roasted ground coffee" but I had planned on just using the whole bean in secondary without grinding. Has anyone tried that with a beer like this with good results?

I had a "White Stout" from Stevens Point Brewery. It was ok. As a stout fan this felt blasphemous, but whatever.

Tasted like a cream soda if cream soda was beer. Pretty sure they added vanilla to it to make it more reminiscent of a stout. Maybe some lactose?

Lactose and vanilla seem like the way to go to make that style what it is. Maybe try some coffee flavoring or smoked malt to get some roast/smoke without the color?

I made a coffee blonde ale with a huge nice rounded coffee character. I just added 4oz whole beans into teh fermentor.
Yeah vanilla, lactose, and mash high. That'll get you close like Stone's master of disguise

i made one a year ago with vanilla beans, cocoa nibs and coffee beans after fermentation, i didnt sanitize the coffee beans and i believe that led to my first infection of what looked like lacto. Bottled anyway and after a month it was still delicious.

Last edited:
I love the idea of this beer! A golden colored beer that tastes and feels like a stout. Sounds like something cool to share during the holidays.
Does anyone have a solid recipe?

I wrote a recipe for something similar over a year ago and we're finally going to take a shot at it on Saturday. I notice above it says to use "fresh roasted ground coffee" but I had planned on just using the whole bean in secondary without grinding. Has anyone tried that with a beer like this with good results?
After speaking with the head brewer at Noble, he said that they grind their coffee as fine as possible, and then throw it in the fermenter for a few days until it settles out. On a homebrew scale, I've had good results using 4oz of whole beans (as well as 4oz crushed) so I think either way the end result will be good. If you wind up grinding the beans, maybe start out with 2-3oz to avoid an overpowering coffee flavor.

After speaking with the head brewer at Noble, he said that they grind their coffee as fine as possible, and then throw it in the fermenter for a few days until it settles out. On a homebrew scale, I've had good results using 4oz of whole beans (as well as 4oz crushed) so I think either way the end result will be good. If you wind up grinding the beans, maybe start out with 2-3oz to avoid an overpowering coffee flavor.

Haven't brewed this yet but if I ever get around to it I would definitely use 2-4 oz. of whole beans without grinding.

"this is the Faction information -
FACTION ANOMALY MILK STOUT IS MADE WITH STAR ANISE, TCHO CHOCOLATES CACAO NIBS IN BERKELEY, LACTOSE SUGAR & COFFEE FROM ROAST CO IN WEST OAKLAND. MADE TO TASTE LIKE A STOUT BUT HAVE THE APPEARANCE OF A PALE ALE. SERVED ON NITRO FOR THE ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE OF THIS SWEET “STOUT”.

Back