secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorbeer69

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd ag batch (Amber Ale) I just transfered it from the primary where it spent 8days I usally leave it in the secondary for 14 days just wandering if I could shorten that time. The o.g. was 1.050 and when I transfered it was at 1.008 Thx.

Since it seems like you might have hit final gravity all you need to do is let it clear up a bit and then bottle.

Most of my batches are in bottles within 14 days of brewing but I brew lower gravity beer say 1.040 or so

Ok cool. I just wanted to take some with me on a week long golf trip to myrtle beach on June 1st.

If your doing a beer where there are no additives you don't need to transfer it to a secondary. The secondary is primarily used to add fruit or hops. Leaving the beer in the primary for three weeks and then going to bottling gives the yeast time to ferment the beer out but also allows the yeast to clean itself up. Just a thought.

Ok thanks. I was under the assumption that I needed to transfer it so it would clear up.

Ok thanks. I was under the assumption that I needed to transfer it so it would clear up.

Gravity works the same in the primary as it does in a secondary. Time is what it takes. Time is what it takes for maturity too but I've found that leaving it on the yeast cake in the primary longer means it takes less time in the bottle to get good. Try it on your next batch, 4 weeks in the primary, 2 in bottles.:mug:

There are benefits to using a secondary as well as risks. I harvest my yeast so I secondary only to get the yeast in the fridge and put to sleep. Another benefit is extended aging and adding fruit or such. Couple that with the need sometimes to have 2 batches going at once and you can see the benefit of a secondary.

Saying that though I do not always secondary. There are benefits to keeping it in the primary the whole time namely infection risks. The thing to do is find what works for you and run with it.

And by the way I wish it was me going golfing. Sounds like a great trip :mug:

Back