Yet another Hops Nutrient Deficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimyHoboSack

Reaction score
Pictures

My second year plants seem to be doing very well, but I just noticed what looks to be a nutrient deficiency. Some of the leaves are turning brown on the leaf parts between the major veins and also on the edges of the leaves. Some of the leaves that are not yet brown between the major veins have developed a strange dull appearance between the major veins (you can see it in the 4th and 5th pictures in the album). There also appears to be insect damage on some of the younger leaves, though I didn't see any bugs on the plants, I'm guessing it's unrelated, but there are pictures of that too.

I haven't seen any pictures or descriptions that exactly match this, but my thought was possibly a potassium deficiency so I did an application of 10-10-10 fertilizer to all of the hops yesterday. So far this year I hadn't fertilized at all, I just added compost at the end of last season and some more at the start of this season.

Appreciate any suggestions.

It does look like you have some insect damage. I just realized that I have a fly problem - I've noticed lots of green bottleflies on my hops. Turns out bottle flies suck sap from leaves. I put up 4 fly strips which were full of flies by day 2. The damage seems to have dropped quite a bit since taking care of the flies.

Maybe im missing something but other than insect damage i dont see anything wrong with your leaves. A few have a bit of brown around the edges, likely related to bugs. but overall the plant looks healthy

Alright, thanks. My hops aren't at my house unfortunately so I only check in on them every few days. I'll take a look tomorrow and see what's changed. The brown areas in the middles of the leaves in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pictures were what worried me, but it may just be related to the insect damage.

Back