Fernenting ale in mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyBob

Reaction score
I am a little new at using this way to ferment. I live in florida and its hard to maintain 65-72 degrees. I wanted to buy a mini fridge and ferment in there. Do I have to have some kind of vent for c02? Also what temp should I maintain if I do it this way. Any input?

No vent is needed. In my little fridge the beer seldom gets more than five degrees hotter than the temp controller is set at. It depends on how active the yeast are at the time. I tend to set mine at 60 and then raise it up after two or three days with an ale.

Good info. I'm looking to do a 2 stage fermenting process. What is your opinion on this? Thanks for your input.

A lot of people use a "e-bay Aquarium temperature controller" to maintain specific temperatures for brewing. In FL you probably wouldn't need the heating phase. You could get by with a 1-stage controller that simply turns off your fermenting chamber (Freezer, frige/mini-frige, box with mini-frige attached) when it gets cool enough.

The general consensus around here is you can get good clear beer with a single stage fermentation. Some folks rack to a secondary, but i generally don't unless I need my primary for something else.

If you build your mini-frige fermenting chamber you can also cold crash which will help clarity.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Its a LONG thread, but there are some summaries in it.

For temp control I use set a 3 gallon carboy in a 6.5 gallon brew bucket and fill to the neck of the carboy with cold tap water. Replace the water or add ice daily. I don't know if the 5 gallon carboy will fit though...

Great info. My idea was to to get a 4.5 cubic foot mini fridge. I am seeing them on eBay for about $75 or so. It appears it should fit up to a 6.5 carboy. I like the idea of the aquarium temp controller. When The yeast settles down bubbling should I cold break it from there or continue to raise temp a little for a month or so then cold break right before bottling? Again thanks for everyone's feed back. I am still a little new at this

@banaproud. Great info. I see on ebay you can get a 110v or a 220v. Any particular one? What's the most you should pay for one of these bad boys?

Dude scope out craigslist... I found a Frigidaire 4.4 cu for 50 bucks that was almost brand new. For Florida temps, i'd have to agree that u prob don't need to worry about the heating ability for fermentation so u'd prob be good getting a Johnson controller and just hooking that up. Mine takes it as low as 34 degrees which is about as low as I need.

Also, no need for a vent for the CO2.

@banaproud. Great info. I see on ebay you can get a 110v or a 220v. Any particular one? What's the most you should pay for one of these bad boys?

110v in the US. I agree with the above post stalk Craigslist for a week or two, you can get some really killer deals on old refrigerators. I got mu 14ft Chest freezer for 20 bucks I can ferment/bulk age 4 carboys/fermenters in it at a time.

That controller is like 25 bucks. there are several links to it in the thread.

Pratzie said:
Dude scope out craigslist... I found a Frigidaire 4.4 cu for 50 bucks that was almost brand new. For Florida temps, i'd have to agree that u prob don't need to worry about the heating ability for fermentation so u'd prob be good getting a Johnson controller and just hooking that up. Mine takes it as low as 34 degrees which is about as low as I need.

Also, no need for a vent for the CO2.

+1 on the craigslist advice... I get almost all my brewing equipment off of craigslist. If u are patient enough, you could probably find a fridge for free. I saw plenty free fridges the few weeks I was looking for a fridge for my kegarator project.

Will a 5 g carboy fit in a 4.5 cu ft fridge with air lock? Looking at purchasing one today for like $75. Will this work? Any input

Will a 5 g carboy fit in a 4.5 cu ft fridge with air lock? Looking at purchasing one today for like $75. Will this work? Any input

You really need to verify with a bucket or carboy as the compressor hump is different in all of them. I got lucky and found one and us a mini fridge, but not all of the small units will fit even though the cubic feet seem to be enough.

Yea. What type of fridge are you using? Any other trucks in mid?

The fridge I have is a Sanyo. It has a silver front and is black inside. I can fit a 6 gallon fermenter in there and it also fits a carboy nicely. I did not have to do any modifications on it other than removing shelves. I found it on Craigslist for 50 bucks. I added the analog temp controller and judging by the ice in the picture, it gets pretty cold. I am cold crashing my honey ginger triple.

IMG_20130513_231606_860.jpg

IMG_20130513_231620_703.jpg

The fridge I have is a Sanyo. It has a silver front and is black inside. I can fit a 6 gallon fermenter in there and it also fits a carboy nicely. I did not have to do any modifications on it other than removing shelves. I found it on Craigslist for 50 bucks. I added the analog temp controller and judging by the ice in the picture, it gets pretty cold. I am cold crashing my honey ginger triple.

What is the model of the Sanyo? It looks great!

Good info. I'm looking to do a 2 stage fermenting process. What is your opinion on this? Thanks for your input.

Since you asked for my input, here it is: Don't.

Ferment to 75% of expected attenuation, then pull it out and let it hit 70 or so to finish up strong. Then rack to keg or bottling bucket and go at it :mug:

Since you asked for my input, here it is: Don't.

Ferment to 75% of expected attenuation, then pull it out and let it hit 70 or so to finish up strong. Then rack to keg or bottling bucket and go at it :mug:

That is exactly what I do also. Let it set at room temp for a few days after fermentation is nearly complete.

@tbbrewer. Thanks for input. I see these kits online that sell 2 buckets and carboy. Not sure why I would need all that. I'm curious on the fridge model as well. Looks perfect for that

Malticulous said:
This is my minifridge. I had to bend the freezer down and put my bucket on the hump.

Can you fit a 6.5 gal glass carboy? 12 inch diameter, 23 inch high? What brand is it? Can you post pictures of the door?

No. I don't think a 6.5 will fit with the door shut. I had to cut the shelves out to get the bucket in. A five gallon carboy will fit. I don't know what size the fridge is but it is old, free and still works great.

Well...thanks to all the input from this thread I have built my tstat controller and found a Sayno fridge on Craigslist for $50. Total I have less than $100 invested. It's working great. I insulate the temp prob and stuck to side of bucket and t literally keeps temp within a degree. Thanks again for help

image-3862770561.jpg

Latest posts

Back