BJCP category for accidental sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikie_sholtz

Reaction score
Figured maybe someone would know or have an opinion. Brewed an all grain Poor Richards Ale about 8 months ago. Beer was great. I decided to bottle about the last 12 pack worth of it and let it set. Havent touched in until yesterday and to my surprise it has turned into an awesome sour ale. Opinions would this be something worth entering in the sour category or any other for that matter, and which sub would be best ? This was the basic recipe below. The beer is not as dark as you would think from the recipe. very light brown and perfect clarity. Any help or opinions greatly appreciated thanks.

OG: 1.068 (suggested range = 1.060 – 1.086)
FG: 1.018 (suggested range = 1.014 – 1.030)
IBU: 27 (suggested range = 25 – 35)
SRM: 17 (suggested range = 12 – 25)
BU/GU Ratio: 0.39 (Strong Scotch Ale = 0.41 from AOB Style Guidelines & Daniels)
Ingredients for 5-gallons all-grain: (Assuming 63% efficiency)
Maris Otter (‘Low Malt’) = 8.5lbs. (59%)
Flaked Corn = 2.75 lbs. (19%)
Biscuit (‘High Malt’) = 1.75 lbs. (12%)
Special Roast (‘High Malt’) = 1.00 lbs. (7%)
Black Patent (‘High Malt’) = 2 oz. (1%)
Medium or Dark Molasses (not Blackstrap) = 4 oz (2%) – 15 minutes from end of boil
Mash: 154 F for 45 min or until complete conversion
Hops:
Whole Flower Kent Goldings (5.0% AA)
0.50 oz. - 60 min
0.75 oz. - 45 min
0.50 oz. - 30 min
Boil: 90 minutes
Yeast:
English - White Labs 002 (Wyeast 1968) OR Scottish – White Labs 028 (Wyeast 1728)

If you are going to enter this into a competition, this should probably go in category 23. It won't fit in 17, as those are the well-defined sour styles, and the only other sour category is 16E, where Belgian-based beers that have some sour character (e.g. Orval) and fruit-based Flanders style ales should be entered. 23 is the catch-all for everything else.

How do you know the others are sour too? Maybe it was a isolated bottle that was infected.

Also, aren't you supposed to tell your whole process when entering into a competition? Including which strains were used for souring and when? I have not yet submitted a brew to a competition, but I thought that was one of the requirements (and one of the big reasons I have not submitted anything yet, I am lazy and not very documentative).

Also, aren't you supposed to tell your whole process when entering into a competition? Including which strains were used for souring and when? I have not yet submitted a brew to a competition, but I thought that was one of the requirements (and one of the big reasons I have not submitted anything yet, I am lazy and not very documentative).

No, you do not have to specify exactly which ingredients in category 23. You may simply state why this beer does not fit into any other category (see the bottom of category 23 here: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style23.php). So putting in the description (again, for that particular category), something along the lines of "Sour wee heavy" and some short additional words of why it doesn't fit in 23 would be good. Stating the base style, in my opinion as a judge of a few competitions, makes judging a lot easier.

Back