Is Mr. Malty “pessimistic”?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a number of years and never have used a starter and frequently just use two of (whatever) for my 11 gallon batches.

So two Wyeast, WhiteLab, or Dry Yeasts.

If it is a higher gravity beer I toss in a third.

Now I am trying to do "more better” and actually delve more in to the science of brewing and I find that according to Mr. Malty I have been seriously under pitching… who knew?

I am about to brew a Berliner Weisse with an OG of 1.037 and it says I need 3.9 vials without a starter…

This just does not match up with my experience nor with what Whitelab and Wyeast claim...… I mean this is a low gravity beer how could it need almost 4 vials?

White Labs says this:

What is meant by pitchable quantities?

At White Labs we package our yeast with a concentrated cell count which does not require any additional propagation time. Therefore, our vials can be directly pitched into a five-gallon batch of wort, giving you approximately a 5-15 hour lag time. Our barrel (BBL) system designed for the professional brewers also has the appropriate cell count for their specified sizes.

Wyeast says this:

The Wyeast Activator (125 ml) smack-pack is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard ale wort (O.G. < 1.060, 65-72°F). When brewing high gravity beer (O.G. >1.060) or cold fermented lagers or ales (<65 °F)) additional yeast will be required. An Activator contains approximately 100 billion cells which will deliver slightly less than 6 million cells per milliliter to a 5 gallon batch of beer.​

So what am I missing?

Am I using Mr. Malty incorrectly?

I can't explain the numbers you are getting from Mr. Malty, but I will sat that Wyeast and White Labs have no reason to give bad info on their products. If they say one pack is enough, I believe them.

I have seen from both White Labs and Wyeast, somewhere online, one of their people from each company stating that the packages are enough to ferment the beer but it is better to make a proper sized starter.

I believe both are right. The packages are enough to ferment a 5 gallon batch of average gravity beer. And that it is better to make a starter so the yeast can start fermentation right away instead of propagating first.

I always make starters when using liquid yeast.

Making beer < making good beer < making great beer

Coopers yeast < liquid w/o a starter < proper pitching rates w/ a starter

OP, you have to be screwing up the numbers on Mr. Malty. Even with an 11 gallon batch size, I see that you only need 1 vial in a starter. If you use intermitten shaking (instead of just a simple starter), the volume needed drops almost in half.

What did you set your production date as?

I know people love mr malty, but its pitching rates are insane.
they are sort of ok for dry yeast but will scare you with liquid yeast.

I know people love mr malty, but its pitching rates are insane.
they are sort of ok for dry yeast but will scare you with liquid yeast.

Yah, but for the OP's case, Mr Malty says 228 billion cells... very reasonable. And really easy to reach. 1 vial, maybe a vial and a half if it's old. Or just step it up once.

I use Brewers Friend for pitch rates and have never had an issue.

There are manufacturers' recommended pitching rates (1 pack or vial under 1.060) and there are pro pitching rates.

OP, what yeast are you using for your Berliner? If it is a sour blend, do not make a starter. Pitch it in and let it do its thing.

One area I believe MrM and YeastCalc are pessimistic in is with respect to older yeast >6mths.

I have some 7 mth old washed Wyeast 2565 Kolsch on the stir plate at the moment that ripped through a 2L starter in around 48 hours and is being given another step with intent to both freeze and store as washed.

I just find it hard to believe it was only 17% viable as YC advised.

Latest posts

Back