Liberty 404 help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJay13

Reaction score
I’ve got a liberty 404 pump I just installed…the sink I had installed had a lot of soap spilled on it so when I tested the drainage the suds backed up into the other side of the sink and also up the vent (which is about 6-8” above the bottom of the sink). Should I be concerned about this? I have a mini vent on it and that does not seem to be allowing enough air to enter the vent. I’ll post a video below of the set up.

Here’s the video.

Attachments

• 65049681974__784F0923-83E1-45C1-8991-0A12A60A6AE6.MOV
    3.1 MB
Need to see the plumbing under the sinks....

Cheers!
The trap is down stream of the left sink. So it goes straight down from both sinks and over to the left to the trap before leaving the cabinet. It’s a home cheapo product. I’m

An "Air Admittance Valve" isn't really a good option in your setup. If the pit is sealed as it should be the pit will pressurize when the sink drains into it. I also don't believe the valves have enough flow to replace the air when that pump kicks on.

Hard to say if either issue with Air Admittance Valves on sump pits caused excessive suds. More likely excessive soap caused excessive suds. Clean out that soap and you should be fine.

Your going to have to vent that correctly at some point. My pump just drains a basement slop sink and I left the vent pipe open for some time. Not recommended as when you drain water into the first time after not using it for some days the odor is unpleasant.

I took off the air vent and left it open. There is another p trap down stream where i tied into the house drain. THat P trap was originally for the laundry discharge. Maybe that will keep me from getting the odor? Here’s a pic of all the pipes.
947D4686-9F70-47E6-A837-C7AEF65AD0F0.jpeg

The check valve and water above it will keep the sewer gases out. The trap on the pump discharge isn't necessary but I don't think it's detrimental either.

The odor I'm speaking of is the from the pump box itself. I clean my kettle, fermenters, paint brushes and myself after yard work in that sink. I also have a fish tank above that drains 20 gallons once a week. The pump box just gets stinky after awhile. I'm dreading the day I have to open it for repair. When it's vented correctly those odors escape with sewer gases out your rooftop.

The check valve and water above it will keep the sewer gases out. The trap on the pump discharge isn't necessary but I don't think it's detrimental either.

The odor I'm speaking of is the from the pump box itself. I clean my kettle, fermenters, paint brushes and myself after yard work in that sink. I also have a fish tank above that drains 20 gallons once a week. The pump box just gets stinky after awhile. I'm dreading the day I have to open it for repair. When it's vented correctly those odors escape with sewer gases out your rooftop.
That makes sense—I already dumped something really stinky in there and the next thing I put in there pushed out that stink. Unfortunately I have no desire to vent it as it isn’t anywhere close to the vent for the house and I’m not going to drill through the rim joist to add another one. I wonder if filling it with PBW with it unplugged for a while then flushing it with water would help?

Back