Combining Wyeast 1010 + 1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmy3

Reaction score
I'm set to make an American Pale Wheat Ale tomorrow, and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with combining these two strains. 1056 is a fairly inoffensive strain which is why I'm even considering it in the first place. I meant to make a starter for the 1010 tonight but the smack pack is not swelling at all so I don't want to press forward until I know it's viable. Since tomorrow is my only time to brew this week, I'm wondering if combining these two smack packs is worth the experiment. OG is only set for 1.055 so it may not even be necessary, but I am definitely curious.

Make a starter with the 1010 tonight either way, that will show you just how viable it is.

You could always smack the 1056 tomorrow morning if the 1010 has not shown any growth.

i almost never let the pack inflate before making a starter. i simply smack it shake it up and give it until my starter is done and cooled before i pitch. The swelling only indicates viability, which your starter will indicate as well. Unless the pack is extremely old or kept in unfit conditions i'd say press on and make the starter with the 1010. No need to waste two packs if you don't have to.

FWIW, i really like the subtle tartness that 1010 offers. I think this will work out very well in a pale wheat.

It's my understanding that mixing strains will yield no benefit. The stronger strain will simply eat the weaker one during the lag phase.

Zymurgy has an interesting article about mixing strains in the current edition. It's worth a read.

I actually contacted wyeast about strain blending. I was doing 1056 & 1318. According to them two strains can grow together. You just need to know how each strain behaves in order to determine what will happen.

I'd be interested in seeing how this works. It sounds to me like Wyeast said, "you can do whatever you want, just make sure you know what you're doing" As I am not a scientist, I'll stick to pitching a single strain with a starter.

Good luck.

Back