How to fix low carbonated bottled stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrific1

Reaction score
I used priming sugar prior to bottling my stout and let it set for 4 weeks. Opened my first bottle and it has little to no carbonation. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this. The stout tastes great I would hate to loose it.

That should be enough... do you have them in the fridge? that will slow them down, they should be out in room temp in a dark place to carb up.. then fridge and drink.

Did you boil the sugar, or just dump it in dry? If dry, odds are excellent that it didn't fully mix; some bottles will be flat while others will be overcarbed.

But the easy answer is this - give it more time. If you added the right amount of sugar (3/4 cup is plenty), and the beer is at least 60 degrees (70 is better), it WILL carb up. Just give it time.

I had them at room temp in a dark place for three weeks prior to refridgeraton.

I'm afraid that 3 weeks (at 70*F) is not enough sometimes for a complex dark beer like a stout. If room temp was under 70*, it will take even longer.

I have a milk chocolate stout approaching 4 weeks in the bottles at 70*F. I tried one @ 3 weeks room + 3 days fridge just for grins. Not only was it not yet finished carbing, the flavor had not yet gotten anywhere close to mature. I should have known, having had a Munich Dunkel earlier this year take about 6-7 weeks to reach full carbonation

Ok guys I'll pull them from the fridge and warm them to 70 and keep them in the dark and wait a couple of weeks! Thanks....

Ok guys I'll pull them from the fridge and warm them to 70 and keep them in the dark and wait a couple of weeks! Thanks....

After they warm, you might want to give each bottle a gentle roll back and forth on the carpet a few times to re-suspend the yeast that crashed out.

Don't be surprised if a couple extra weeks isn't enough. It may take longer.

Latest posts

Back