Just bought My first two kegs! GROSS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppinburgh

Reaction score
I just bought my first two used pin lock corny kegs from my LHBS. I didn't realize they came uncleaned. One has a cola smell to it (No Biggie) and the other wreaks like the town dump!!! Any advice on initial cleaning? I was thinking of taking them outside and pressure washing them for starters.:confused:

I'm in the same boat having purchased used ball lock kegs. Soda smell is pretty strong. I plan on replacing the 5 orings. Do I need to replace the 2 poppits and the pressure relief valve? None of them leak but I wasn't sure if I should replace them because they have rubber in them with the soda.

I always replace the pressure relief valves on all my used kegs. I usually don't replace poppits unless needed(too expensive). Also get yourself one of the long skinny brushes meant to clean the inside of the liquid tube. You can find one for just a few bucks. My process is that I disassemble the keg 100%, throw all the parts inside(including the lid. Top off with hot water and pbw and let it sit for a few hours. Scrub it down with a brand new toilet brush, and use a toothbrush to clean the posts, and the long brush I just mentioned for the dip tubes. Drain the water, rinse and dry, then reassemble with new o-rings and PRV. Haven't had a single infection, off-flavor, or leak to this date.

I had one that smelled of root beer so strong, I never thought I could save it. I soaked it in baking soda for 3 days then in PBW for a week. Now it just smells like beer.
I did replace the rings and poppets just because I had some lying around.

I just got two from what appears to be an old soda distributor. One smelled like cola. An overnight soak with 1/3 scoop of Oxyclean did the trick. I haven't cleaned the other one yet.

IMO, it does not take too much effort to clean stainless steel. Just soak well, remove any residue, rinse well, and sanitize well before filling.

I always use a light cheap soap. Something like Sun brand that won't leave residue behind. One wash and the smell is gone. The scent of the soap doesn't stick to stainless and its anti bacterial. PBW is expensive. I clean my lines with a mixture of the soap and water.

Back