Kegging cider and back sweeting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxxenigmaxxl

Reaction score
I have 2- 5 gallon batches that have been fermenting for 6 months and am ready to keg them. I haven't taken either of them to secondary yet. They have been sitting doing nothing for the passed four months and have added no chemicals agents appose to cider blueberry pom juice sugar and honey . I was going to back sweeten them with 3 cans of apple juice. Should I worry about the kegs getting over carbonated If fermentation continues.

If you transfer to a keg, chill for 24 hrs then backsweeten then you don't have to worry about fermentation kicking off again. The yeast will go and stay dormant. I do the same thing with no problems. I also have a beer gun that I fill bottles with(great way to bottle cider), if I bottle I transfer to keg, chill for 24 hours, add 5 tsp potassium sorbate, chill for another 24, backsweeten, carb for 2 weeks then fill bottles using beer gun. They hold carbonation like a champ and no referment(bottle bombs) after they get warm. Works great!

I watched a you tube video, where they added Camden tablets to the carboy 24 hrs before kegging. They also pull some samples into a glass, and used wine conditioner to sweeten. They would add a few drops at a time, until it was to their taste. Then calculate the drops, into the amount they would need for a full keg. Then kegged it, added the amount they needed. You could do the same for yours. Pull off a couple of glasses, mix it with apple juice a little at a time until you get the sweetness you want, then calculate that for the full batch.

Three cans of apple juice??? Is that 1.5 cans per five gallons or three cans per five gallons? I added .5 can per five gallon to make is slightly sweeter. 1 can per 5 gallons made it quite sweet.
I've added concentrate with nothing else and it re-fermented the concentrate. I have also added cambden and wine stablizer and it did not re-ferment. I also don't keep my kegs ice cold.

Last time I made a 5.5 gallon batch, I batch primed it with 2 cans 100% apple juice concentrate. It definitely carbonated it, but didn't realize sweeten it for bottling. Now if you add camden tablets 24 hrs ahead, then use concentrate, then I would image it would sweeten it.

That's I recommend pulling off a sample first, and then adding some to it to figure out sweetening amount. You could fill a 1/4 - 1/2 gallon jug, then mix in x amount of concentrate, then sample it in a shot glass and so on. Then figure how much you want to add to the whole batch.

Back