What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NB Prickly Pear Saison and Brett Beer. Have a cask Troegs Perpetual IPA on the way.

I haven't had the Prickly Pear from NB, how is it? I was lucky enough to try a really limited prickly pear beer from Freetail in Tx and it was undescribebly good.

image-1978044856.jpg

sweed said:
I need that glass! Where'd you get it?

Having my pale ale, and then my Belgian wit.

I got it in a glassware trade with another member here.

mcbaumannerb said:
How is that Allen? I just picked up one this week and am debating drinking it vs. putting it in the back of the cellar.

Damn good. I'm liking this better than the regular Yeti, which is an awesome beer also. At $9 a bomber I'm gonna pick up a couple more to put away for a while. Once it fully warmed, I pick up a hint of cayenne, really good beer.

TNGabe said:
I'm still up junior and you're an hour behind. :mug:

Having a hb porter after having 'a few' other beers at my club's Big Brew event. I joke about being the old guy on here, but I think I'm the only club member in my 30s. Great group of guys though, I think we brewed at least 8 beers today.

Don't worry, I'm still up Gramps. ;)

image-3826015757.jpg

Wow, I've been out and about and really haven't had a chance to update this thread today. Only got one pic of the one I am currently drinking, but here goes in approximately the order consumed:

Zero Gravity Spring Session APA
Zero Gravity T.L.A. IPA
Zero Gravity Ale Communication
Heady Topper from the can
Hill Farmstead Edward APA
Drop-In Red Dwarf Amber
Boulder Brewing Mojo IPA on nitro
Prairie Artisan Ales Prairie Somewhere
Heady Topper in a glass

ForumRunner_20130504_221012.jpg

Wow, I've been out and about and really haven't had a chance to update this thread today. Only got one pic of the one I am currently drinking, but here goes in approximately the order consumed:

Zero Gravity Spring Session APA
Zero Gravity T.L.A. IPA
Zero Gravity Ale Communication
Heady Topper from the can
Hill Farmstead Edward APA
Drop-In Red Dwarf Amber
Boulder Brewing Mojo IPA on nitro
Prairie Artisan Ales Prairie Somewhere
Heady Topper in a glass

Busy day! What's your no 1? How was the Prairie/ St Somewhere?

image-921515089.jpg

You can't see the beer in this picture, but if you could, you'd be gazing at a Flying Dog Whiskey Barrel aged Gonzo Imperial Porter.

Ice water while djing it's going to be a long night without no good beer I might just have to start drinking grey goose

Dayman coffee IPA, a Stone collaboration. Had a fresh one a month or so ago and just cracked this one open. The hops calmed down a lot and now the coffee taste is very upfront. So good!

I got a bottle of that I am going to crack open tomorrow while brewing. Have heard great things. Can't wait.

Yeah, I used Belma in an IPA recipe and was underwhelmed. I have 2 pounds. I have read it plays well with Cascade. Also may just use it as a bitting since it is a nigh alpha.

Busy day! What's your no 1? How was the Prairie/ St Somewhere?

Nothing I had today surpassed Heady, but all the Zero G beers were great. I also forgot to mention that I visited Rock Art Brewing this morning and had a flight of four samples. The saison was my favorite as well as my wife's. The Prairie Somewhere was OK. Hops and sour don't go well together IMHO.

My Glacier/El Dorado/Mosaic/Amarillo DIPA. An awesome combination of blueberries, stone fruit and citrus fruits. Sounds like a clusterf*ck, but damn is it tasty. This beer will be on normal rotation from now on!

Cbaddad said:
Yeah, I used Belma in an IPA recipe and was underwhelmed. I have 2 pounds. I have read it plays well with Cascade. Also may just use it as a bitting since it is a nigh alpha.

I also fell into the Belma trap, the only upside is that every beer I have made with Belma has had a ridiculously creamy head. It is my bittering hop right now. Still a good deal for $6 a pound.

So I had some of that Kalevipoeg at the Gates of Hell to see what I'm working with. My god I don't know if I even want to trade that stuff....un-freaking-believable. Strong on the bourbon now....give that 6 months and its gonna be liquid gold. AllenH was not kidding when these guys know how to make their stouts/porters.

Damn, we really need a spell check button on here.

That obviously was bittering and high in my previous post.

My keg of my Ryle Pale Ale, Drunkard's Dream, just kicked. Thank god I have another.

Kohatu hopped wheat ale. Interesting. I need to find these hops.

ForumRunner_20130504_233830.jpg

Enjoying some two hearted ale and Sierra Nevada pale Ale after a food brew day. Brewed a two hearted clone.

I haven't had the Prickly Pear from NB, how is it? I was lucky enough to try a really limited prickly pear beer from Freetail in Tx and it was undescribebly good.

As with every other beer I've ever had from New Belgium (including any Lips of Faith beer) it was just meh (exception being Belgo which I thought was great). Not terrible. Not great. It lacked the "saison" punch I was expecting. You could get the prickly pear/passion fruit, but lacked any real Belgian character. The Brett Beer wasn't much better.

Back home drinking my Robust Porter.

Chuu said:
So I had some of that Kalevipoeg at the Gates of Hell to see what I'm working with. My god I don't know if I even want to trade that stuff....un-freaking-believable. Strong on the bourbon now....give that 6 months and its gonna be liquid gold. AllenH was not kidding when these guys know how to make their stouts/porters.

Like I said, have them buy any stout/sweet stout/porter they can get their hands on. They make some mind blowing stouts. I keep a picture of the first stout of theirs I ever drank on my phone.

image-2902776397.jpg

Super limited, aged on maple with lactose added. Oh yeah, 8% and absolutely amazing. Don't believe me? Google the reviews of any of their stouts.

Edit* the majority of their stouts are only available in 750's, so you feel super fancy drinking them.

Back