Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlassen

chefkevshomebrew
Reaction score
image-4054844316.jpg

Shouldn't be a problem using this right. Food service sanitizer

Sure, but unless it specifically claims "no-rinse" do *not* assume it is.

DO NOT use this I made that mistake once. It will kill your yeast. Quat is one of the most effective sanitizers out there but it is not yeast friendly.

Get some Starsan.

I work at a seafood smoker so I have access to quat too. I tried it with horrible results.
I was too dang lazy to go get sanitizer and brought home some from work. :eek:

DO NOT use this I made that mistake once. It will kill your yeast. Quat is one of the most effective sanitizers out there but it is not yeast friendly.

Get some Starsan.

Neither is StarSan. By definition a sanitizer kills or disables microorganisms. StarSan may be "yeast friendly" in that in the correct dilution, once you've dumped it out the small amount remaining won't interfere enough with the process to be of concern. But I'm sure if you mixed your yeast starter into a volume of StarSan the future of the little guys would look pretty bleak.

+1 to the above post. Yeast added to straight starsan will kill them. When starsans ph is raised by adding wort to your starsan foamed carboy then starsan turns into yeast food

Back