Didnt take yeast out of the fridge till rifht b4 pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofy810

Reaction score
So brewing our first batch on sat using a blickman conical. We transferred the wort to the fermenter the took the yeast out of the fridge and read the tube where it said remove from fridge 3 to 5 hours b4 pitching, we had to pitch as we would be out of town Sunday so went ahead and pitched the wort temp was around 68deg. Should we be ok or do I need to get more yeast today and re-pitch, it's a stainless fermenter and has a blow off so I can't see to know if it is good or not for a few more days till the head space fills up. Any thoughts?

Thanks

You're ok. But that's not a good practice. It stresses the yeast to go from such extremes. Would have been better to put it in your pocket for a while.

Cool so no need to get more yeast today to pitch. Yeah from now on we will take it out of the fridge when we start the brew process. This was our first time. Thanks for the info

Too soon to panic. Just roll with it for now. I have probably done the same thing early on. It is a good practice to have some dry yeast on hand. Especially if you don't make a starter. Having said that, I don't have any. But I make starters. One of the big risks with your yeast is that you don't know how good it was when you bought it. A starter could have let you know.

Bottom line is don't worry about it yet. Probably fine, but not ideal.

So how's your fermentation coming?

Seems to be working its hard to see bubbling with the 14.5 gal blickman conical and only brewing 6 gal and its a low alcohol batch also but the SG has changed to close to the expected final so I'm thinking we are good.

Back