Pre-gasing bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
OK, been thinking about these oxygen absorbing caps you can buy. Do they really work? Not sure any one could say they 100% work. So I was wondering, could you just let a little co2 into the bottle then cap it? Would you have to back off the priming sugar if you used this method?

I have bottled beers that I have aged extensively, and never had oxidation issues. I wouldn't bother with the special caps. Of course, I've been corrected before, and am sure I will be corrected by those more knowledgeable in the future. One way to learn!

I think the caps are BS. Wouldn't the absorb all the oxygen they could hold while sitting in the store?

hoppybrewster said:
OK, been thinking about these oxygen absorbing caps you can buy. Do they really work? Not sure any one could say they 100% work. So I was wondering, could you just let a little co2 into the bottle then cap it? Would you have to back off the priming sugar if you used this method?

Bump

I think the caps are BS. Wouldn't the absorb all the oxygen they could hold while sitting in the store?

I have heard (on Basic Brewing, maybe) that they require contact with liquid to be activated. I spritz them with starsan right before capping.

CO2 priming of bottles is ideal, as is using CO2 to move beer rather than an autosiphon. Not that I do either.

Sierra Nevada did years of research on the oxygen absorbing caps. I didn't find any published results in a quick search, but it is often referenced.

I'd like to try this. I would like some advise from the wise ones on how to set this up, ie tanks, valves, whatever I need.

My problem with prefilling bottles with CO1 before filling is that when you use a bottling wand you fill to the brim, then when you remove the wand it lowers the fill level to where it should be but that space is filled with O2 and you lost all your CO2. Unless of course you flooded a bin in CO2 and filled in there.

Oops I meant CO2. You really do not want to fill your beers with Carbon Monoxide.

My opinion, I think you'd be wasting effort in getting a system set up to get CO2 in the bottles before capping.
To answer your questions, I haven't heard 100% that the caps work, but I assume that they do, at least to a degree. The lining has a chemical in it that, once wet, absorbs the oxygen in the headspace. This doesn't happen immediately, so don't be concerned about getting them wet while dunking them in sanitizer and then becoming ineffective in a matter of moments.

As DrunkleJon pointed out, you'd have to flush the headspace in the bottle after pulling the bottling wand out, kind of a pain IMO.

With proper bottling technique, you can cap on very little oxygen, the caps giving you a little additional peace of mind. If you fill the bottle from the bottom with little aeration (as with a bottling wand), rest the sanitized cap on top, and let it sit for 30 seconds or so (I do this by filling a few at a time, then capping a few at a time), then crimp the caps, some of the CO2 left over from fermentation should theoretically push some of the O2 out. Again, this is very minimal at best.

I'd recommend using the O2 absorbing caps for beers that you plan to store for a while, use regular caps on everything else if you choose to save a little bit of money. You would not need to adjust priming sugar as was originally asked. The time and effort you'd spend on flushing the bottle headspace with CO2 isn't worth it, I very much doubt you'd see an improvement for that effort.

I'd like to try this. I would like some advise from the wise ones on how to set this up, ie tanks, valves, whatever I need.

The easiest way would be to get a basic kegging system and a beer gun. If you intended to bottle all your beer, you can just use the keg as a fancy bottling bucket. Or you can force-carb and then bottle what you want. The beer gun lets you inject CO2 into the bottle, then fill with beer from the pressurized keg.

You'd be looking at at least a couple hundred dollars to set this up.

Back