New at home brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanderson

Reaction score
I have read and read on home brewing and really wanted to get into making my own beer so I went to my local home brew store and purchased a kit. Followed the instructions and did what it said. I now have my brew in its primary fermentation bucket. My question is (and could be stupid) the instructions do not give a time frame as to when to transfer to my secondary glass Carboy! Help

Time frame is simple.

Assuming you took an OG reading. Once visible signs of fermentation have stopped, take. FG reading. When three consecutive readings are the same, transfer to secondary.

From there depends on what type of beer you are brewing. This is when the beer begins to clarify. When the beer in the carboy looks clear, bottle or keg.

What kind of beer is it? The only way to tell if fermentation is complete is with a hydrometer. I wouldn't touch it for two weeks.

Two weeks as stated above for fermentation of most styles to finish. Secondary is debatable. If you're like me and couldn't wait for that first batch to be done, just leave in the primary for 2 weeks (unless you're planning on adding something to it like fruit, then I would recommend a secondary), bottle it, let it bottle condition for 2 more weeks and then pop 'em in the fridge and enjoy those bad boys!

It's a Belgian wit with orange and coriander then directions say to float remaining orange and coriander in secondary glass Carboy in mesh bag. My relief valve is bubbling and it has been about 28 hours since I put it in my primary fermenter (white plastic bucket with spigot and clear relief valve on lid)

Nice. Yeah, a wheat beer should be more than finished in 2 weeks time. When adding additions such as yours it is good to go to a secondary, though I don't know if I would put a filled mesh bag into a carboy unless you were sure you would be able to get it out. If it were me, I would just toss in the orange and coriander at the bottom of the carboy and rack on top of it.

Good idea I was kinda wondering how I was gonna get it out. So two weeks in primary then rack it to glass Carboy with orange and coriander? Then How long for secondary? I still put my relief valve on my stopper on my Carboy correct?

I dry hop in mesh bags, you rack from primary or secondary to the bottling bucket or keg, the mesh bag stays in, then when you clean it out, you remove it, not difficult. Also you do not need to rack into a secondary, unless you are leaving the beer in the fermenter more than six weeks or so, just put the bag in the primary. You risk oxidation using a secondary, but it does help clear the beer a bit though.

Good idea I was kinda wondering how I was gonna get it out. So two weeks in primary then rack it to glass Carboy with orange and coriander? Then How long for secondary? I still put my relief valve on my stopper on my Carboy correct?

I noticed nobody answered your relief valve question. I'm brand new to the hobby myself (my first batch I brewed with a friend, batch #2, my first flying solo, is on day #4 of fermentation), but the answer is yes. The stopper and relief valve or airlock will help keep bacteria and other contaminants out of your beer.

Cheers!

For your next batch, when you first put the beer into your primary fermenter a lot of home-brewers recommend that you use a blow off tube instead of an airlock (which is what I think you're referring to as a relief valve?). The airlocks can get gummed up and cause your airlock and rubber stopper to blow to the ceiling and cause a big mess. Once the most active fermentation is complete then you can replace the blow-off tube with a standard airlock.

I've only brewed 4 batches so far and while I haven't had any problems of this nature yet, I've tried to minimize the possibility.

If you decide to look into this further then there's plenty of information on these forums on how to build your own blow off system with ease and for very minimal cost.

I do a blow off with beers north of 1.075, otherwise I use an air lock. If you do not have at least a gallon of head space in your primary though, you will always need a blow off

Back