Help With Mushrooms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edds5p0

KN4SQH
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been doing some research on growing my own mushrooms and I'm considering trying to use spent grains as a substate. Has anyone had and luck with this?

gratus fermentatio said:
You might find this interesting:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/mushroom-grower-looking-spent-grain-manchester-ct-area-343952/

Scroll down a couple of posts & the guy says you can't use just spent grain as a substrate, that it has to be mixed with other things like compost/manure.
Regards, GF.

So it looks like if I did use spent grains, I would need to add a lot of other stuff to get it to work out. Hmmm, maybe I'll try to make a substrate with other goodies for the mushrooms to thrive.

I remember in college some guy talked about mushrooms grew best on cow patties. But i didnt have any chance to try that.

Just got a notice that our West Virginia State University's Extension Service will be holding workshops on mushroom growing. For $60.00 I can attend 3 seminar's and get all materials needed to grow them at home. I'm game to try new things involving fungus.

ChuckO said:
Just got a notice that our West Virginia State University's Extension Service will be holding workshops on mushroom growing. For $60.00 I can attend 3 seminar's and get all materials needed to grow them at home. I'm game to try new things involving fungus.

That's awesome, I should see if there is anything available up where I live like that.

Worst buzz kill quote from my BIW ten seconds after ingestion: "I'm a bad shroomer". Hours later at the golf outing dinner I knew he meant it.

Latest posts

Back