Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From ALISON:

Member Vote
Allen Y
Beasley Y
Beason N
Bedford N
Blackwell Y
Brewbaker Y
Bussman Y
Coleman N
Dial P
Dunn N
Fielding Y
Figures P
Glover P
Hightower P
Holley Y
Holtzclaw P
Irons Y
Keahey Y
Marsh Y
McGill A
Orr Y
Pittman P
Reed N
Ross Y
Sanders P
Sanford Y
Scofield Y
Singleton Y
Smith Y
Smitherman Y
Taylor N
Waggoner P
Ward P
Whatley Y
Williams N

Total Yea: 18
Total Nay: 7
Total Abs: 1

I am curious what are y'all getting?

1. 15 gallons per quarter brewed and possession.
2. Can you take homebrew to contests and exhibitions?
3. Misdemeanor for violations.

How did that 180 happen? One minute doom and gloom the next it passed?! Wth?!

Happy for y'all. Shows that if you pester politicians enough they might actually do something!

I intend to call Senator Bussman tomorrow and thank him for voting yes. I also intend to write a thank you letter to Rep. McCutcheon. One thing I'm interested to know is why Senator Holtzclaw voted "present" instead of yes. He sponsored the senate bill... what was the logic behind that?

EDIT: Went back and checked the ALISON page. P means either didn't vote or wasn't present. So maybe he was in the loo.

Didn't McCutcheon say he couldn't wait to attend a homebrew meeting? Should find out what he likes and make sure there's plenty there for him wherever there is?

From ALISON:

Member Vote
Allen Y
Beasley Y
Beason N
Bedford N
Blackwell Y
Brewbaker Y
Bussman Y
Coleman N
Dial P
Dunn N
Fielding Y
Figures P
Glover P
Hightower P
Holley Y
Holtzclaw P
Irons Y
Keahey Y
Marsh Y
McGill A
Orr Y
Pittman P
Reed N
Ross Y
Sanders P
Sanford Y
Scofield Y
Singleton Y
Smith Y
Smitherman Y
Taylor N
Waggoner P
Ward P
Whatley Y
Williams N

Total Yea: 18
Total Nay: 7
Total Abs: 1

I just emailed all the "ayes" and thanked them

Wow! Once again today I am speechless. After the the hour circus I watched this afternoon I didn't think this was possible. Thanks to all that put so much into this effort! I can't wait to brew in my driveway and not get a little freaked out if a cop drives by my house twice in a two minute span (happened on my last brew day.)

Any clubs in or near Pelham that I could join?

How did that 180 happen? One minute doom and gloom the next it passed?! Wth?!

I was listening and this is what I think happened (disclaimer, I'm NOT an expert on this)....

They were pushing through a ton of "local" bills that were passing by acclimation with no debate or delaying. There was some kind of "deal" made in the background to bring up HB9 and one other bill at the end of the locals. Everyone was tired and not interested in filibuster or debate, and they just voted on it. It actually almost got passed by acclimation without a role call vote even! The bill did have bipartisan support and did pass the Senate two years ago. Still... I think there was some very shrewd maneuvering on the part of the leadership to make it as smooth as that.

Wow! Once again today I am speechless. After the the hour circus I watched this afternoon I didn't think this was possible. Thanks to all that put so much into this effort! I can't wait to brew in my driveway and not get a little freaked out if a cop drives by my house twice in a two minute span (happened on my last brew day.)

Any clubs in or near Pelham that I could join?

I believe there is a club that meets in Pelham actually on Wednesday nights. As soon as its officially legal that is.

Does this also mean we may still be able to beat Mississippi? Lol just messin but seriously?

Congrats to all the Bama brewers out there.

:mug:

If the governor doesn't sign off on this, may he be be forced to drink only warm, stale, out of date BMC for the rest of his days.

I think the AL bill will become law when signed. So we may yet beat out MS.

LOL :ban:

Anyone have a link to the audio recording?

Also became a Supporting Member in celebration!

I may just check with the wife and become a paying member my dang self.

I'm having the Vanilla Bourbon Porter recipe that's so popular around here. On a related note, today I received my copy of Designing Great Beers.

Contact the Governor! I just did. It takes about a minute...

WHEW! NOW TELL BROTHER BENTLEY TO SIGN THE DARNED THING!

After a drama-filled day for us listening to the Senate, and after all hope seemed long lost, they brought up HB9 unexpectedly, out of the blue, and passed it 18 - 7 - 1 tonight, without a single word of debate. The Alabama Homebrew Bill has passed the Legislature!!!!

It goes to Governor Bentley now. Although he has indicated that he supports the bill, we need to make sure he knows thousands of Alabamians want him to sign it. This is the one, last step needed before Homebrewing is legal in Alabama, and in all 50 states! So, please go to http://governor.alabama.gov/contact/contact_form.aspx, and fill out the form with your information. Choose "Legislative Session 2013" from the "Email Concerning which Issue" choices. And in the "Comments", in your own words, politely ask the governor to sign HB9, the Homebrew Bill. Try to get as many people as you can to do this! We know our prohibitionists opposition will be writing him, and we must vastly overwhelm their numbers!!!

Major thanks go to Senator Bill Holtzclaw for seeing this through, and to Representative Mac McCutcheon for many years of work. None of this would have been possible without our bills' sponsors. And especially, none of this would have happened without you, the grassroots organization who has brought Alabama to the verge of ending the Prohibition of Homebrew! Thank you, all!
---
Right To Brew
http://www.alahomebrewing.org

Back