Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jmcquesten said:
"Wow! It's like, real beer."

Thanks...that was the point.

Although, honestly, I was a little shocked when I popped open my first bottle ever, after waiting the requisite time, and it tasted like something I'd order in a bar!

Sister-in-law (after tasting a really nice smooth ESB I had on tap) : "Wow! This is really good. It doesn't taste at all like what I was expecting."

Me: "And what exactly were you expecting, dishwater?"

SIL: (sheepish grin) "Well........."

Turns out she had a boyfriend years ago who thought he could brew in his apartment and stick the fermenter in a 75*F closet. She thought that's what all home brew tasted like. Now I overhear her telling other folks how good it really is.

I get annoyed when someone says, "man I'll bet some of those darker beers you make really have a kick!"

Particularly pisses me off when someone says it with a Coors Light or a Heineken in their hand.

At one point in me life. Young, very young I was. I'd say the same things. That your all refering too. I was too busy trying to be cool. Follow the "in" crowed, because it was cool. But I'd try one here and there. Think to me self. That is quit good. Slowly becoming a closet hombrwer lover of beer. Not until I was 24, 25, I really though about it. Never persued it. Til, about a year ago. But. All my coworkers, friends, brothers love it. Think as if the first time they know someone who brews beer. They'er always asking questions. I answer the best I can. Sometime refering yo this forum, a book or website. But, no. nothing bad yet.

Thankfully, I don't really get annoying responses. Granted, it's not CO, WI, OR, CA, or WA, but AZ actually has some pretty damn good craft brew. Around here, most people are pretty receptive to the craft part of the beer world. Because of this we actually have a lot of people who either homebrew or know someone who homebrews.

I have gotten a few annoying responses over the past 3 years though. Usually it's the "can you make something like Bud Light" or "Is it good" responses, but nothing too bad.

I would get people asking me if I could make something that pairs with this or that or if I can make a beer that tastes like this or that. I work in a restaurant with a lot of people who think they are foodies, yet they all really enjoy my beer.

I think I've been lucky so far. I have found out it takes a lot to mess up a brew, but I am kinda OCD.

I mostly get positive responses, but then again for some reason most if the people I socialize with are also beer drinkers. Or at least drinkers of some sort. My favorite response I got recently was, "ooh I want to learn how to make my own vodka!"

Not the worst idea really, if they are vodka lovers. I personally can tell the difference between cheap and alright vodka, but nothing beyond that. But there are people who are just as into vodka as we are into beer.

After I began brewing beer my father began making wine (it's not too bad really), and after 2 years of that he even began growing his own grapes. He keeps hinting at that he wants to make his own Obstler (a southern German Schnapps made from apples and pears), but has yet to do it.

Being in CO usually I don't hear too many things. A couple are:

Them: Is it good?
Me: ( I point to the medals on the keg fridge)

Or

Them: How did you learn to do this?
Me: I learned how to read in school while the nuns smacked my knuckles.

Or

Them: This IPA thing is really good but I really only like ales.
Me: (grinding teeth)
My 10 year old son: All beers are either an ale or lager. Plus they all have hops, water, yeast and malted barley.
Me: ( Biggest grin ever!)

Does it have all that yeast crap at the bottom? It's like drinking dirt.

My sisters husband cannot stop bitching about this. He will not even try a sip of homebrew.

@ skepace-wow,you too?! They even used a big heavy Bible on mine. Or this really long cuestick with an orange ball thing on the end for a long distance brain duster. :drunk:
I'm waiting for one from my new lawncare guy I gave a beer to last week. I gave him one of my dark hybrid lagers...

@ skepace-wow,you too?! They even used a big heavy Bible on mine. Or this really long cuestick with an orange ball thing on the end for a long distance brain duster. :drunk:
I'm waiting for one from my new lawncare guy I gave a beer to last week. I gave him one of my dark hybrid lagers...

Your son helps brew too?

No,my one son's Dr had him quit drinking & all the ghost,scorpian chiles. He has a tumor in his stomach. This is a stranger that does my lawn. Didn't say a word so far today.

What a ******. His loss.

The funny thing is, I got my sister (his wife) hooked on Allagash White. If you've never had it, it's bottle conditioned and you got to swirl the yeast to get that awesome flavor.

How do you get it in the keg?

Why do all the home beer makers I know have beards?

How long does it take? (I get this one so often it has become annoying)

You should start a brewery! I follow that one up with my educated guess at start up cost and ask them to invest, conversation ends quickly.

How long does it take? (I get this one so often it has become annoying)

Never thought about it because I repress my annoyance, but you're right, that could be the most annoying one. Usually I just say "depends on the style and type" and that will shut them up. If I try to begin explaining things I can see their eyes glaze over.

Why do all the home beer makers I know have beards?

I think you need to ask them "Did the home brew come first or the beard?"

I got lucky, my girlfriend likes bearded manly men, and I hate shaving, so it made sense to just keep a beard (sometimes well groomed, sometimes not). The home brewing came later (since last year the cherry harvest was bad, New Glarus was not able to do their Cherry Stout, and Abita Purple Haze rarely lasts long than it getting cold in the fridge I figured it was a good excuse to start home brewing to make clones of the ones my girlfriend likes, and make whatever I want in the mean time).

I think you need to ask them "Did the home brew come first or the beard?"

I got lucky, my girlfriend likes bearded manly men, and I hate shaving, so it made sense to just keep a beard (sometimes well groomed, sometimes not). The home brewing came later (since last year the cherry harvest was bad, New Glarus was not able to do their Cherry Stout, and Abita Purple Haze rarely lasts long than it getting cold in the fridge I figured it was a good excuse to start home brewing to make clones of the ones my girlfriend likes, and make whatever I want in the mean time).

Same front on the girlfriend. I am actually supposed to be clean shaven for work, so I shave every once in a while or when fit testing comes about. At those times she gets sad and makes me wait until the last minute.

Lets get back to the double d titties. I guess my beer sucks because I have never heard that .....yet. But hope springs eternal :)

got this one tonight after giving away a few to a buddy and telling someone else that I made it "What kind is it, is it that stuff they advertise on tv?"

"It tastes like beer" by my girlfriend to every beer I have made.. Guess its a compliment, sort of!

My wife says that every time, is not a compliment! But she has poor taste she married me. Wow that's cheesy, sorry.

This happened to me today at work, I don't mean to talk trash about my supervisor because he's cool and doesn't ask me about what I do all day. But today this exchange happened.

Bossman: "Any big plans this weekend?"
Me: "I'm going to bottle my first home brew"
Bossman:"So you like them dark beers, like guiness? Do you like guiness?"
Me: "I've been known enjoy a guiness from time to time"
Bossman "Man, that stuff is thick, it pours like oil"
I hesitated for a second cause I realized I'm have the exact same conversation I've had with other BMC drinkers, thinking the Matrix had reset, I powered through.
Me: "Oh yeah it can be described as a little chewy, I'm more of a porter and imperial stout fan, IPAs are about the only thing I'm not a giant fan of"
Cue bossmans eyes glazing over.
Me: "I'll be going to the Lazy Monk Tap Room tonight though, they have some tasty beer for cheap, maybe make my way over to The Firehouse to try some crazy stuff. I'll leave a couple bottles of my homebrew on your desk monday man"
Bossman "Free beer dude!"

Back