Let's liven this ale up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
Today I was attempting to make a Coopers pale ale, but due to having an insufficient starter I was unable to do that and had to change recipe on brew day. This is what I did:

4KG (8.8lb) pilsner malt
50g (1.7oz) dark crystal malt
700G (1.5lb) DME (500g of that was 50% wheat DME)

20g (0.7oz) Green Bullet @ 60 min
33g (1.1oz) Taiheke (NZ Cascade) @ 10 min
33G Taiheke @ 0 min
33G Taiheke reserved for dry hop

OG 1.054, 2 packets of US-05, targeting around 40 IBUs.

I can get Nelson Sauvin hops easily, should I get a bag of that to add to the dry hop? I'm not really sure what style I'm after to be honest. Just after ideas. I will be bottling.

Today I was attempting to make a Coopers pale ale, but due to having an insufficient starter I was unable to do that and had to change recipe on brew day. This is what I did:

4KG (8.8lb) pilsner malt
50g (1.7oz) dark crystal malt
700G (1.5lb) DME (500g of that was 50% wheat DME)

20g (0.7oz) Green Bullet @ 60 min
33g (1.1oz) Taiheke (NZ Cascade) @ 10 min
33G Taiheke @ 0 min
33G Taiheke reserved for dry hop

OG 1.054, 2 packets of US-05, targeting around 40 IBUs.

I can get Nelson Sauvin hops easily, should I get a bag of that to add to the dry hop? I'm not really sure what style I'm after to be honest. Just after ideas. I will be bottling.

Nelson Sauvin isn't my favorite dry hop. I get a muscodine grape/rubber cement flavor from them unless they are subtle. What about motueka?

Have you had any luck improving your efficiency?

I'm off to the brew shop today so I might purchase a bag of Motueka.

Brewhouse efficiency is around 78% with the grainbill I used yesterday. Very happy with that. It all started going bad as soon as I stopped using barley malt milled by that particular supplier. That was my first successful mash after the 4 previous ones that went down the drain.

I'm off to the brew shop today so I might purchase a bag of Motueka.

Brewhouse efficiency is around 78% with the grainbill I used yesterday. Very happy with that. It all started going bad as soon as I stopped using barley malt milled by that particular supplier. That was my first successful mash after the 4 previous ones that went down the drain.

Very glad to hear it!

Back