Leaking Pressure Barrel and temperature issues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been making wine from kits for around eight years now so I'd thought I'd have a go at some beer.
It all seemed to be fairly straight forward but then my pressure barrel started leaking from the tap.

First question...
Having transferred the beer back to the fermentor to be able to add some vaseline to the tap thread and tighten it up with a spanner, and then transferred the beer back to the pressure barrel, should I add more sugar? ...the beer was only in the barrel for one day but I'm assuming I've knocked most of the CO2 out of it by effectively racking it twice. It's a St Peter's IPA kit and I added 80g of brewing sugar.

Second question...
With the recent hot weather I'm finding it difficult to find a place that's cool enough anywhere in the house - our utility room (former outside loo that's not joined to the house via a conservatory) has no windows but even in there it was hitting 27C on the hot days (31C here in Peterborough). This seemed to be ok for the fermenting stage (7 days in all) and I'm sure it'll be ok for the conditioning stage as it's not quite as hot now - but I've got nowhere else to put it after that. Will it be ok at 20/21ish?
I do have a second fridge - I could remove the shelves - it's lowest setting (warmest) is 8C and coldest is 2C - is that too cold or ok?

I don't know how much sugar is right at this point, but adding a little more won't hurt. If the beer is over carbonated you can bleed off some CO2 later. 20C is fine for conditioning. How does it taste? A hot ferment can lead to off flavors, depending on your yeast.

I don't know how much sugar is right at this point, but adding a little more won't hurt. If the beer is over carbonated you can bleed off some CO2 later. 20C is fine for conditioning. How does it taste? A hot ferment can lead to off flavors, depending on your yeast.
I actually think it’s going to be fine - I’ve just sampled some and there’s a good amount of pressure behind the tap.
There’s quite a yeasty smell when it’s initially poured but that seems to dissipate. It’s clearer than expected.
It’ll be a week tomorrow since I transferred it out and back again to fix the tap so potentially it’s got another three weeks to go - but on tasting it I am very impressed - I’ve bought less enjoyable beers from the supermarket!

…I might have another taste …just to confirm 😂

Attachments

• FA74C5AD-9418-4FBA-93B5-07D1C90A0DF0.jpeg
    FA74C5AD-9418-4FBA-93B5-07D1C90A0DF0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Back