measuring gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Reaction score
I am a newbie at brewing and only have 2 complete batches under my belt. Both turned out good but I noticed I am wasting a lot or wort and beer taking gravity readings. To fill the tube on both ends I am losing about of 2 bottles. For my third batch I sanitized my hydrometer and floated it right in the fermentation bucket prior to adding the yeast. But looking down at the angle I am sure it messed up my reading, not to mention my eyes are going, but I got low reading 1.044. I tried to mix really well but hard to say how good of a job I did. The short question is there cheap alternatives, minus the refractometer, to get gravity readings?

I think it's just a necessary evil unless you want to pay up and get a refractometer. I pull about 6oz for a sample, so 3 samples and yeah, I guess you are getting close to loosing two bottles worth. I enjoy sampling the beer to see how it is progressing, so I don't really think it's a big deal (personally) in a 5 gallon batch.

AMonkey said:
What are you using that you lose two bottles worth? I use the tube it came in and it doesnt take much beer to fill that up.

I have a big tube probably 10 oz, never measured, but that is a great idea! I wonder if the hydrometer tube would leak? Its kind of cheap but it may work! Thanks for the idea.

I sanitize everything, take my reading, sample some of it, and poor the rest back in. Is this a terrible idea? I do try to minimize the splashing to reduce introduction to air, but are there other problems with pouring it back?

I bought a 100ml (3.3 oz) graduated cylinder off amazon for my hydromater. I usually just drink the sample or dump it.

I sanitize everything, take my reading, sample some of it, and poor the rest back in. Is this a terrible idea? I do try to minimize the splashing to reduce introduction to air, but are there other problems with pouring it back?

You drink some then pour it back in? Backwash?
Probably should pour most back first then taste sample.

I also use the plastic tube the hydrometer comes in for testing. They don't leak,& I sanitize them prior to use. The OG sample goes back in,but the other samples get sampled by me.:rockin: I never measured it,but that hydrometer storage tube doesn't hold more than a few ounces. Works great for me.

No, I should have been more clear. I pour some into another glass to sample then pour the rest back.

lol, no backwash into the fermentor! Although DFH did an interesting beer called Chicha [ame="http://youtu.be/hLeTxzqqqyI"]chicha[/ame] that basically did use this method. I drink a swallow or two to get a taste and dump the rest of the sample, about 2oz's worth, down the drain. I don't sanitzie the tube because it takes forever for starsan foam to dissipate.

I never measured it,but that hydrometer storage tube doesn't hold more than a few ounces. Works great for me.

I measured. With hydrometer displacement my tube can do a reading with 2 oz. whereas my jar would be 6 to 8 oz. so that gets significant.

I'd suggest if using the tube to take several readings and spin, tap, and bob your hydrometer between readings. They do rub and stick against the sides of that narrow tube.

I fill my tube about 2/3 of the way. But I do have to find a spot that's leveled just right to keep it from sticking to the sides. Besides letting any foam go down.

No unfortunately there is no accurate way of taking a gravity reading other besides either using a wine thief or turkey baster ( make sure they are sanitized ) and take a gravity reading. the other option and they really are not that expensive is t buy a refractometer. One of our members here on hbt Bobbym has a online store that sells them fairly cheap. I bought mine from him and I use it for all my mash efficiency readings as well as my OG reading though my FG is always with a hydrometer as once alcohol is produced the refractometer has to be adjusted and it's a PITA to do the calcs. here's a link to Bobby's site with the refractometer. BTW it's probably one of the best investments I have made in my beer making.http://www.brewhardware.com/refractometer

Latest posts

Back