late dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to move to the secondary and dry hop, that would be fine. I share the sentiments of @deadwolfbones though and would prefer to just dry hop in the primary. Not much gained in transferring.

would prefer to just dry hop in the primary. Not much gained in transferring.
Exactly!
Secondaries can cause more problems and there's nothing they can solve.

Just drop the hops in loose and leave for 3-7 days. Then cold crash for a few days before packaging, so everything drops out.

I really prefer to give the beer a gentle stir at least once a day after dry hopping to keep everything suspended, but if you don't have access to CO2 to flush the headspace after stirring, just let it sit and soak.

Yes of course. Purge well. The hops will likely break the surface tension causing the release of CO2 which also helps scrub O2. The yeast in the primary can absorb of lot of your hop oils so you will need more. If you do it right it will be fine. It cracks me up that people say don’t transfer due to O2 but then they don’t fully purge their keg properly or transfer under CO2. Be cautious of O2 ingress and you’ll be fine

I did put the hops in the primary, but Purging with CO2 is a good idea I have always added Co2 when bottling and kegging but never thought of doing it in the fermenter when adding something. I may need to do this but not sure if will help at this late in the fermenting stage. I added the hops at 8 days from brew day will let it set for 3 then cold crush for a few days and rack to a keg then let it sit for a few days or more just to let the beer mellow before putting in the fridge.

I did put the hops in the primary, but Purging with CO2 is a good idea I have always added Co2 when bottling and kegging but never thought of doing it in the fermenter when adding something. I may need to do this but not sure if will help at this late in the fermenting stage. I added the hops at 8 days from brew day will let it set for 3 then cold crush for a few days and rack to a keg then let it sit for a few days or more just to let the beer mellow before putting in the fridge.
It's never too late to purge/flush the headspace with CO2 when you're letting it go for a few more days. Sure the earlier is always better.

Look into filling your keg using the 100% liquid pre-purged keg method. You then fill the keg through the liquid out post using a QD with your racking hose attached to it. Open the PRV to vent the CO2 out. The lid stays on, so oxygen exposure remains minimal. A 'closed transfer' could make it 100% oxygen free.

Back