Alaskan IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
Does anyone love this beer as much as I do? Its just a great beer all around. I was thinking about brewing something like it. Does anyone have anything similar?

I should mention...my SWMBO is from Alaska, so there is a reason why I love this beer. I on the other hand am from Texas. A Shiner man. But alas...no Shiner IPA.

It's a good IPA, but it falls into the category of "just another hop-forward Pacific northwest IPA" in my book. To brew something similar, I'd start with 2-row, add some Crystal 60, and use any combination of Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, and maybe Chinook. Focus the hopping on the late additions and dry hops to get the signature flavor.

From the website:

Original Gravity: 1.057, ABV: 6.2%, Bitterness: 55 IBU, Color: 9 SRM

I never find myself buying it, but if its at a bar or restaurant I'll down a pint. I think Yuri has the right idea. Some 2-row or, if your an extract brewer, some XL-DME and some crystal malt. Throw in some "C" hops and US-05 or WLP001 and you should be able to make something similar. After a couple tries it shouldn't be too hard to clone.

Look for an Alt Style beer recipe, you may find that it's smoother and more flavorful.

But let it age 4-8 weeks before trying it, the Alt I tried tasted like Bud Lite after I initially carbed it. 4 weeks later... Ohhhh Man great beer! the best pint was of course the last!

Look for an Alt Style beer recipe, you may find that it's smoother and more flavorful.

Alt? Wha? :confused:

Oh, you must be referring to Alaskan amber, which is an alt style beer.

Where talking Alaskan IPA here. Big dif my friend. :)

I found it to taste really good last winter, but I had one after a really hot day just relaxing watching the sunset and I didn't care much for it. I need to wait for it to cool down to get back into IPAs

Back