Help with my Belgian Dark Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
I have made some great Dark Strong ales in the past using D-180 and or D-90 syrup. I recently started making my own syrups and I like the idea of using my own homemade syrups in my beer. I made a double and a dark strong in February using my own homemade syrups. They actually taste pretty harsh and I don’t really care for them. They homemade syrup tasted fine before I used it, but I also had a pretty complex grain bill with pilsen, caramunich, aromatic, and special b so I cant really pinpoint the bad taste. I want to make a 10 gallon dark strong on Friday with a simple grain bill, just pilsen, caramunich and dark candy syrup. Should I go back to buying the syrup or should I try again with the homemade stuff. Has anyone made a good Dark Strong with homemade syrup

I use a lot of D-180 and D-90 and really like the flavor profile they give. My take on it is if it works don't change it.

I did a brew much like mentioned. Got most of the flavor and darkness from the syrup. If I remember correctly it was just pils some caramunich and a few oz of Special B and D-180. Very nice brew.

I use a lot of D-180 and D-90 and really like the flavor profile they give. My take on it is if it works don't change it.

I did a brew much like mentioned. Got most of the flavor and darkness from the syrup. If I remember correctly it was just pils some caramunich and a few oz of Special B and D-180. Very nice brew.

How much do you use. What sucks is buying 4 bags at 7 dollors for a 10 gallon batch. They need to start selling 5 pound bags with some discount

How much do you use. What sucks is buying 4 bags at 7 dollors for a 10 gallon batch. They need to start selling 5 pound bags with some discount

I did 2 lbs in a 5 gallon batch. It came out very dark, almost stout dark. According to the brew software it was 31.5SRM.Very tasty. You could even mix D-180 and D-90 if you don't want it so dark.

Back