Fermenting in a cooler place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaiserSoze

Reaction score
I decided to move my fermenter to a cooler, darker room in my apartment. Im using White Labs California ale yeast, which I have used a few times now, but this fermentation is much more active than usual. I did use about 10oz of honey during the boil, but I've done that before and haven't experienced these results. Can this active fermentation be because of the temp change?

Thanks for any input

Yeast actually prefer heat but the taste of your beer will be better and cleaner for the cooler temperatures so, no, dropping the temperature did not create a more active fermentation.

Most ales prefer low to mid 60's for fermentation.

It was in the low 70's where I used to keep it. But now its in the 60's. I didn't move it really, just storing this batch in a different place than the last

60's is def better for cleaner flavor. Some fermentations just go hog ass wild,some are more subdued at cooler temps.

Back