Brewing a Big Wheat ... Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
Howdy all. Got my ingrediants for a big wheat wine. Grist is as follows:

3# Munich
3.8# 6 row
3#flaked spelt
6# redwheat
3# white wheat

Hops:
2 oz each of:
Pride of Ringwood
Nelson Sauvin
Pacific Jade

I have packet of Wyeast 3739 Flanders Golden,or I could rack onto a yeast cake of French Saison yeast. I also have some US-05 hanging around.

I'm thnking of using one oz of Pride for bittering, maybe 1.5 oz., then basically hopburst the rest.

As for mashing, I have a 10G cooler; I was considering doing a step mash (1st time), but I'm not sure I'll have the space.

Thoughts?

so this here beer came out pretty ... hoppy. very smooth, very easy to drink, but way to bitter. 2.0 will consist of less bittering hops, for sure.

That sounds great. How much of your wheat was of unmalted variety? I have access to free unmalted spring wheat so I've done several batches pairing with a base malt and have had good conversion. Mostly witbiers and an occasional dark wheat.

both red and white are malted. i definately want to do another wheat wine, just focus more on the malt/breadiness instead of making it hoppy. don't get me wrong, it's good, i just don't like tasting hops when i wake up in the morning after i've had a few the night before.

Yeah that sounds like a great beer, but 6oz of hops is IIPA range. Maybe 2 or 3 oz would be good?

i agree. like i said, still a good beer, just too hoppy. v2 might consist of more noble/czech hops or something along those lines, and not nearly as much.

just a follow up.....i entered this beer into an open category competition and scored... not as well as I'd hoped. it did however, make me look at the recipe a little more. i have some ingredients en route for vII, going to use pacific gem hops and malt a little higher to give it some more body. i changed the grain bill around some, and am going to use 10 pounds of red wheat, 1 pound of white wheat, 2 pounds of flaked wheat and 6 pounds of six row. i'm also considering a step mash, i'm just not really sure about it.

Back