Buying in Bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csells10

Reaction score
So I'd like to stray away from kits, but the only concern is that they are so darn cheap and affordable my LHBS has kits for $28 for a 5 gallon kit, so its hard to try to develop a recipe or copy one here and have it be a bit more pricy, how do y'all buy in bulk and still make it affordable? or secondly what do you buy in bulk that you always have on hand? I want to start doing all grain but hate to buy just what i need knowing that i can get it cheaper if i buy a 55 lb bag of 2-row rather then just 6lbs here and 8 lbs there. Tips appreciated

Thanks! :D

That's a tough one, because extract is usually the most expensive part.

I bought a 55 pound sack of base grain for $37. That will last about 5-6 five-gallon brews. The other grains I buy by the pound, or in 10 pound amounts if I use them alot (crystal 60L for example).

I buy Munich malt in bulk, Maris otter, and US two-row. Then I just buy the other specialty grains I use most.

I wash/reuse yeast, so I buy yeast twice a year or so- about 6 packages at a time. They don't sell that at bulk prices, but I only pay shipping once when I do that.

Some places that sell kits will sell AG grains about about 2/3 the price of an extract kit. That could work if you want to do AG batches.

You learn to substitute. I've been buying hops and base grains in bulk for the last 4 years. You learn what you typically brew and make your buying decisions that way. If you are like me I can't tell the difference between Maris otter and 2 row its not such a big deal. If your on the uber beer snob side of homebrewing you're going to end up with 10 sacks of grain and a freezer full of hops. My personal inventory looks something like this: sack of Cargill 2 row, a sack of CMC pale ale malt a pound of centennial, Columbus, golding, delta and remnants of pound nags of several other varieties.

The only other advise I have is get in on a bulk buy if you can, saves on shipping and is the cheapest way I've found.

Back