yeast starter temp ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorBrewed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been making yeast starters for some time with all my brews but it dawned on me last time that I don't regulate the temp like I do my fermenting beer. Is this a issue ? With summer in full swing and hot days to come, should I find a way to put my stir plate in my fermentation chamber ? I'm not one of the lucky people that have central ac and can't have a normal 68 degrees in my house. What should I do ? I ask because the last batch of beer I made did not ferment all the way and I worried that the yeast are dying due to the temp of my house when making a starter . Thanks

Unless your house is over 125 then the yeast are not dying.

I run my starters at room temp which is around 68-72 most of the year in my basement.

IMO you should aim for less that 80 as a pretty good benchmark, I'm sure someone else will chime in ....

My stir plate produces quite a bit of heat. I use a fan to keep the yeast from getting to warm. My yeasts are mostly ale yeasts so I aim for a temperature near the top of the yeasts fermentation range.

Unless your room temps are uncomfortably high (like over 82*F), doing the starter at room temp ought to be fine so long as you cold crash it 1+ days before use and decant away most of the starter beer. I wouldn't toss the whole starter into the wort if it's been in a really warm environment.

Latest posts

Back