Lagunitas 12th of Never, anyone have a recipe or ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackerelQ

Reaction score
I'm a loyal Lagunitas fan, I've been drinking their beer ever since they were just a barely known small-town norcal brewery. A few years ago, they released their first canned beer, 12th of Never. It was a magical, majestic, delicious beer that was a perpetual occupant of my refrigerator for pretty much the entire run of its existence.

Sadly, one week when I was due to replenish my stock of "purple beer" my local store did not have any. I figured it was a distribution issue, but it never returned. I was heartbroken. I have been searching for a recipe for this beer, but I cannot find one. Even the "Gone But Not Forgotten" section of their website disavows any knowledge of such a beer. Anyone possibly have the recipe or even just a listing the ingredients?

Attachments

• Lagunitas-12th-of-Never-Ale-can[1].jpg
    Lagunitas-12th-of-Never-Ale-can[1].jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 6
Reach out to the brewery and ask them if you can gain any insight as to the recipe.
Explain that it was your favorite beer and you are a homebrewer and would like to try to brew something similar.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lag...hrome..69i57j69i60l2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Thanks, I actually did email them nearly verbatim what I posted here. With the company now being owned by Heineken, I don't hold out a lot of hope that they'll let loose with any information. Hopefully they do have some grass roots left and decide to throw me a bone.

I have just recently started brewing on an all grain grainfather kit and I decided to go on a world tour of styles to educate my pallet. It’s been great and my friends are stunned with the beers I brew . Give it a go and go on a voice of discovery. After all is that the American Spirit going into the un known

Here's a recipe that could point you in the right direction:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/699829/12th-of-never-clone-working-
I'd say definitely use torrefied ("puffed") wheat, it has a specific flavor and body (used in many British Ales), you can't get from flaked or malted wheat.
Sabro hops will give you that coconut flavor/aroma.

@Dr_Jeff pointed you to a large bunch of sources. I'd be surprised if you can't locate the beer, or ask your beer shop or distributor to get it for you. But it maybe very regional. Beat the bushes and see what jumps out.

Here's a recipe that could point you in the right direction:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/699829/12th-of-never-clone-working-
I'd say definitely use torrefied ("puffed") wheat, it has a specific flavor and body (used in many British Ales), you can't get from flaked or malted wheat.
Sabro hops will give you that coconut flavor/aroma.

@Dr_Jeff pointed you to a large bunch of sources. I'd be surprised if you can't locate the beer, or ask your beer shop or distributor to get it for you. But it maybe very regional. Beat the bushes and see what jumps out.
Thanks, I had already seen that one, but did not seem close enough as the base grains did not even include the puffed wheat which is actually listed on the side of the can. As for what @Dr_Jeff pointed me to, it was just a google search that I've made myself many times. I did find a recipe in the BeerSmith library, but without any actual confirmation if this is in fact the recipe, kind of hard to tell who's actually got the recipe and who's just spitballing.

Latest posts

Back