Second Beer Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

widsith

Reaction score
So Ive brewed my first beer. Its OK, Im happy to serve it to guests, but Im not going to brag about it. I know a couple of things I did wrong and will correct them next time. The first time was a kit, but I would like to start with a recipe for my second. While waiting for the first to ferment, I read through two of Papazian's books and have been reading a fair bit of this forum. I think I have have a much better handle on what I should and shouldnt do and would like to use a recipe for several batches in a row so I can make changes on subsequent iterations and see, smell and taste how some of the recommended processes change the beer. So Im looking for recommendations for a base recipe.

Parameters:
-- Id prefer a big IPA because thats what I and my wife enjoy drinking.
-- Extract with specialty grains or Partial Mash BIAB since I only have a 6 gallon pot.
-- Fairly simple hops mix. (This is one of the things I expect to play with down the line, so I dont want to start too complicated.)

Looking forward to your recommendations.

I would try to do partial mash biab if you can. I did a few with a 6.5 gallon pot that turned out great, and much more satisfying than extract. As far as recipe, just browse around on here and find one that a lot of people have made and like. If it is all grain someone will adjust it for you.

Good luck, have fun

How large is your brew pot? Any chance you might want to try doing an all grain brew using the brew in a bag method?

24 quarts or 6 gal. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I figure there isn't enough room for 5 gals of water plus all the grains. that's why I was thinking of a partial mash. Technically I can barely do a full boil but I figure 5.5 gals boiled down to 4.5 with a 1/2 gal block of boiled and frozen ice to help with the cool down is close enough.

I still use my 5 gallon SS stock pot for everything from AE to partial boil/partial mash biab. Easy & works great. For example,I mash 5-6 pounds of grains in 2 gallons of water. Sparge with 1.5 gallons for total boil volume of 3.5 gallons. This allows 1/2 gallon boil off. Then chill & top off in fermenter to total recipe volume. So your 6 gallon pot will be plenty.
** I also have a new copy of "Best of BYO's 250 classic Clone Recipes". It has a long list of popular IPA's & some IIPA's as well. All grain,partial mash,& extract with steeping grains. Toss out some IPA's you two like,& I'll list one.

Latest posts

Back