Lager yeast and bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
Afternoon All.

My last lager was brewed with 34/70 and bottled, unfortunately even after lagering and some aging the the yeast kicked up off the bottom no matter how carefully I open and pour it.

If your able please recommend a yeast that will stick to the bottom, Is prefer a dry yeast if possible.

Thanks. Aamcle

When you bottle its inevitable your going to get sludge in the bottom . Most should stay in the bottle but I'm not sure you can prevent it 100%. If kept at low temps for long periods of time should be good.

How long are you leaving the beer in your FV? I go 3 weeks. When bottling longer time in the fermenter will help lessen the sediment that makes it to the bottles. A high flocculation yeast might be beneficial as well.

My last lager was brewed with 34/70 and bottled, unfortunately even after lagering and some aging the the yeast kicked up off the bottom no matter how carefully I open and pour it.

Did you lager before bottling? If yes, you should only have a small amount of yeast to deal with. But even a small amount will be disturbed by pouring. People claim to be able to pour without disturbing the yeast, but there's always that one (at least) "glug" when you start the pour. And that glug is felt at the bottom of the bottle.

If you lager in the bottle, it's even worse. The proteins/polyphenols that had settled out (the purpose of lagering) and the yeast gets stirred up when you pour. It's the reason I'm personally against lagering in bottles, and it's probably the reason (other than tradition) why you won't find commercial lagers that are bottle lagered/conditioned.

If your able please recommend a yeast that will stick to the bottom, Is prefer a dry yeast if possible.

As @Jag75 mentioned, you can look for a highly flocculent strain. But sadly, most lager strains are not.

Latest posts

Back